ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 7 XP Mode now doesn't require hardware virtualization

<< < (2/2)

Carol Haynes:
Probably less so. VMWare now has full DirectX and Open GL support in its VM.

Before you switch over try allocating more RAM to the Virtual PC XP Mode. You have to shut down the Virtual PC first (ie. a full Windows XP shutdown) and then find Virtual PC in the start menu. You will see your machine listed and if you look at its properties you will see it has 512Mb allocated - assuming you have spare RAM try doubling it.

Innuendo:
I downloaded this within the past month so that I could run a 16-bit game made for Windows 95 that doesn't run on 64-bit Windows. The game runs, but unfortunately it has performance problems while performing simple operations like click the mouse or dragging something from one place to another, so I end up getting frustrated real quick and don't play the game anyway. :(-Deozaan (May 31, 2010, 11:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

Microsoft added XP Mode to Windows 7 for businesses that have proprietary programs that won't work in newer versions of Windows. There's no hardware acceleration of *anything* so as you found out it's not a solution for those looking to play older games.

Deozaan:
Before you switch over try allocating more RAM to the Virtual PC XP Mode. You have to shut down the Virtual PC first (ie. a full Windows XP shutdown) and then find Virtual PC in the start menu. You will see your machine listed and if you look at its properties you will see it has 512Mb allocated - assuming you have spare RAM try doubling it.-Carol Haynes (May 31, 2010, 03:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

My Virtual XP Mode defaulted at 256MB of RAM. I probably wouldn't hesitate to double that if I had more than 2 GB in this machine and I used "XP Mode" for anything else.

But how do you shut this thing down, anyway? I only get "Log Off" from the start menu, and even from the Action bar it only gives Restart or Sleep. When I close it, it just hibernates.

Carol Haynes:
You can shutdown the VM by making sure the XP desktop is open and clicking CTRL+ALT+DEL at the top of the window. There is then a shutdown button.

Here are some further options:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/windows_vpc/archive/2009/10/29/tip-how-do-i-shut-down-a-virtual-machine.aspx

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version