ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

X-Setup Pro now free, but abandoned

<< < (2/3) > >>

Curt:
Gah!  I just purchased a new license.
-cthorpe (June 02, 2010, 05:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

-good! Then it wasn't you or me that made them go broke ;-)

;)

Curt:
Guess I can stop waiting for an updated version of X-Find now...
-Stoic Joker (June 02, 2010, 03:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

sorry that I also have brought confusion to the thread:
   Xteq is fine and kicking. And freeware. X-Find will most likely be updated, in time.

The reason I listed Xteq's programs was that they used to handle the support for X-Setup.

cthorpe:
-good! Then it wasn't you or me that made them go broke ;-)
-Curt (June 02, 2010, 05:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

Neither were all those discounted licenses that they sold on May 6th through Bits du Jour ;).  I mean, they apparently shut down on the 15th of May according to the BdJ comments.  I'm sure they had no idea that was in the works when they were selling licenses through them.

Curt:
Because of the insolvency of WUG ...

--- End quote ---
-Curt (June 02, 2010, 11:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

It is always time to learn something new. And this certainly was new to me even it was from half a century ago:

WUG

Wug test

The wug test is an experiment in linguistics, created by Jean Berko Gleason in 1958. It was designed as a way to investigate the acquisition of the plural and other inflectional morphemes in English-speaking children.

There are three plural allomorphs  in English:

* /z/, the most general form (dogs, pronounced /ˈdɒɡz/)
    * /s/, which appears after voiceless consonants (cats, /ˈkæts/)
    * /ɨz/, which appears after sibilants (horses, /ˈhɔrsɨz/).

The child is presented with a drawing of an unfamiliar creature, often blue and bird-like,[1][2] and told, "This is a wug." Another wug is revealed, and the researcher says, "Now there are two of them. There are two...?" Children who have successfully acquired the allomorph /z/ of the plural morpheme will respond: wugs /ˈwʌɡz/.

Very young children are baffled by the question and are unable to answer correctly, sometimes responding with "Two wug."

and more...-Wikipedia
--- End quote ---

guess it was another WUG  8)

app103:
I found this post from TeX on the MG forum that explains better what happened, and also explains what WUG is:

Howdy!

Now this is what you call a bad start: My first post to the MG forums and it’s about why we shut down X-Setup Pro

Thanks for the encouragements we have receive in the last days, we highly appreciate this.

Now to clear up that "WUG" confusion: It is NOT the Windows User Group it was, "Windmeier UG" the company of Eric. UG is a German registered company, like LLC or Inc. in the US. Don’t ask me why, but our lawyer recommended it to write it that way.

And finally a question: Would it be possible that MG could host the portable and U3 version of XSP also? I’m getting a lot of requests about this. I know we can’t support XSP anymore, but given the requests I receive I think it would help some users.
--- End quote ---

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?p=1495880#post1495880

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version