ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

install win7 32 or 64 bit on a 4 gig ram machine - opinions, please.

<< < (4/9) > >>

nudone:
right. that's the end of the 64 bit dream. win 7 just started complaining immediately after installation about my router not having the "correct" ip address. or am i missing something there?

it claimed the network card was okay - can't see what i can do about the router (i'm not replacing it).

Carol Haynes:
Are you using fixed IP addresses or DHCP?

You could try disabling IPv6 in Windows 7 and see if that makes a difference.

To disable IPv6 just create the following registry/value:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\TCPIP6\Parameters]
"DisabledComponents"=dword:000000ff

IPv6 still appears to be there but it is completely disabled. Just delete the value to re-enable it.

nudone:
i'm using a fixed ip - but i better double check later when i'm back at that machine. i'll try disabling IPv6 and if there's no difference after that i'll give win7 32 bit one more try. i may as well prove to myself that it doesn't like my hardware - if that is the case then i'll just forget about it until i buy a new setup.

Carol Haynes:
All I know is that I have no IPv6 hardware or software (who does?) and it has caused some odd effects on my system. Disabling IPv6 cured the issues.

The other thing is that IP are by default allocated dynamically and IPv4 and IPv6 so you may have a fixed IP on one system and a dynamic one on the other.

nudone:
i've had a bit of a play around with the settings (including the registry edit) and it remains uncooperative. so, that's then end of the experiment. it isn't something i want to spend time on trying to resolve. if win 7 (32 bit) hadn't locked up every time i tried the performance scan then i would feel more confident everything woudl work eventually.

i'll probably come back to giving win 7 32 bit another try in a few days, maybe with some hardware removed. if it locks up again, then i'll just stick with what i've got and save the experiments for another year.

thanks for the suggestions, Carol.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version