ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

install win7 32 or 64 bit on a 4 gig ram machine - opinions, please.

<< < (3/9) > >>

Deozaan:
If you're going to go back to Vista, then there's really no loss (except time) if you at least try 64-bit Windows 7.

MilesAhead:
If you can lay your hands on Vista64 with SP integrated it's actually not bad.  They got rid of most of the problems with HD running on etc.. with SP1. Depending how much address space you eat up with the video there must be something to putting 64 bit Vista on with 4 GB ram because I saw several demo videos where the trade show dudes went to the trouble.  There must be a performance boost in there somewhere.

nudone:
that's an interesting idea. i never once considered using the 64 bit Vista. well, i guess, i wouldn't as i wasn't aware of a performance boost. hmm, i shall have a think about that.

at the moment, after the last lock up of the system performance scan, win 7 is refusing to boot - i believe i need to run that auto repair thing a few more times (read elsewhere it might take a few tries).

i'm not sure what to make of this lock up problem. i could pretend it isn't happening and hope that it only occurs when doing the performance test - but how realistic is that.

to be honest - i quite like vista. i was just hoping i'd get a bit more out of win 7 - even though the charts don't seem to indicate vast improvements.

so, it's a radical idea...

i may just reinstall vista - maybe 32, maybe 64.

edit:
or i could do the win 7 64 bit like Deozaan said.

Carol Haynes:
I would give 7 64 bit a go - what is there to lose apart from an hour of fiddling?

nudone:
okay. i'll look for the 64 bit drivers that i think i'll need and take it from there...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version