ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Software for Business Process Modeling?

(1/10) > >>

superboyac:
Hi everyone, i know I've been asking for a lot of advice lately.  I have a new job and I have been asked to work on our Business Modeling Processes.  We don't really have anything now.  We have a very old and outdated manual that uses a numbered lists to spell out how things are done.  However, it's not sufficient to describe what actually happens.  I'm going to need to do it using a visual diagram.  A flowchart, if you will.  After researching for a while, I've realized this is an entire industry with their own catch phrases and jargon, etc.   What I need is something that can do Business Process Modeling.  I need to create something that looks like the following:
Software for Business Process Modeling?

I've searched DC threads for recommendations so far.  I've found some good options, and I want to confirm them here.  The first one I'd like to mention is EDGE Diagrammer, which mouser likes.  However, after looking at it, i think it is too simple for the stuff we do here.  I need to be able to have "swim lanes" and stuff like that.  I need to be able to show simultaneous things happening in different places and interactions between them.  Please refer to the picture above.

The other ones that stand out to me are Smartdraw and eDraw.  Can anyone comment on them and/or recommend others?  I also have Visio.  i don't like Visio that much, and I'm hoping there's an alternative that is clearly better for this.

This diagram will be modified big time, because we have nothing now.  So when I make it, all the managers will look at it, and we'll spend some time messing with it until it's correct.

After researching a bit, I realize this is MBA kind of stuff.  Maybe it's time I get the degree?  Ugh, more school.  I feel like I'm getting involved in something that MBA people consider very typical and ordinary, yet it's new and unfamiliar to me.  But, degree or not, I'm the man for the job here, so I want to make sure it's successful.  This is kind of a big deal for me and the organization.

OK, thanks as usual.

PPLandry:
This diagram will be modified big time, because we have nothing now.  So when I make it, all the managers will look at it, and we'll spend some time messing with it until it's correct.
-superboyac (June 01, 2010, 06:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hi superboyac !

Just an idea, but if it's going to be a work-in-progress, an online solution, such as
http://www.dabbleboard.com/

might be a good approach, initially at least.

Just my 2 cents !

superboyac:
-superboyac (June 01, 2010, 06:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hi superboyac !

Just an idea, but if it's going to be a work-in-progress, an online solution, such as
http://www.dabbleboard.com/

might be a good approach, initially at least.

Just my 2 cents !
-PPLandry (June 01, 2010, 07:26 PM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks Pierre.  But our company won't go for that.  Two issues: they don't like anything going outside of the security network and we can supposedly get fined a LOT per day for doing anything like that.  Secondly,  we are very behind the times as far as technology, I wouldn't even attempt to approach the managers with that.

I was hoping you were going to say, "Well, IQ already does this!"  ha.  Hope you're doing well, my friend.

40hz:
I've worked with SmartDraw on some client projects. It's very similar to Visio although I thought it was much easier to use for general purpose diagramming. I never tried using it for process mapping, but it should be able to handle a diagram like yours. They have a free 30-day eval available so it wouldn't cost anything but your time to give it a try.

I also bounced your question off an MBA/MsME buddy of mine who works for one of our giant defense contractors. He speaks well of something called TeamFlow. I can't vouch for it personally since I've never used it. But my pal is a pretty savvy project manger, and he thinks it's a very capable product. The publishers also offer a 30-day eval copy if you want to give it a test run.

:Thmbsup:

superboyac:
I've worked with SmartDraw on some client projects. It's very similar to Visio although I thought it was much easier to use for general purpose diagramming. I never tried using it for process mapping, but it should be able to handle a diagram like yours. They have a free 30-day eval available so it wouldn't cost anything but your time to give it a try.

I also bounced your question off an MBA/MsME buddy of mine who works for one of our giant defense contractors. He speaks well of something called TeamFlow. I can't vouch for it personally since I've never used it. But my pal is a pretty savvy project manger, and he thinks it's a very capable product. The publishers also offer a 30-day eval copy if you want to give it a test run.

:Thmbsup:
-40hz (June 01, 2010, 09:53 PM)
--- End quote ---
It looks really good, probably exactly what I'm looking for.  I'm going to try it out.  We'll see how difficult it will be to try to purchase it.  If nothing else, it's given me a good idea of how to display the process.  I was introduced to the idea of "swim lanes" yesterday, and this uses that same idea.  Thanks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version