Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site September 16, 2014, 06:29:49 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Read the Practical Guide to DonationCoder.com Forum Search Features

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Screenshot Captor Splice Tool  (Read 64132 times)
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: June 01, 2010, 01:33:49 PM »

You'll find a screencast of the new SC "Splice" tool command here:

http://www.donationcoder....sts/dc/3ds/sc16/sc16.html

The splice tool allows you to splice out horizontal or vertical regions, like banners.  Good for removing ad regions in screenshots, etc.

Deozaan
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 01:49:08 PM »

Wow that's awesome! Thmbsup

Veign
Charter Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 01:51:42 PM »

Great little feature. 

Why don't you release that as a standalone application?  I would use it just for that.  Basically let me open an image, perform splices and then resave out.

cranioscopical
Friend of the Site
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 02:05:00 PM »

Very nice!

If one has, say, a wide image but short (or a tall but narrow) the only way to 'splice' out a big chunk is by repeated small splices.

Chris
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 02:07:27 PM »

that's a good point Sad
Deozaan
Charter Member

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 02:11:02 PM »

Simple solution: Put a Splice icon in the toolbars (on the side with the others) that has default smart behavior that splices depending on selected area's dimensions. Then put Splice Horizontally and Splice Vertically in the SpecialFX dropdown menu for those rare times when you need to splice a large section from a narrow or short image.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 02:12:53 PM by Deozaan » Logged

ewemoa
Honorary Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 05:21:10 PM »

Looks nice  Thmbsup

I didn't see a hotkey listed on the menu item during the screencast -- is there a hidden one or an option to configure one?
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 05:23:03 PM »

you people and your hotkey shortcuts!
steeladept
Supporting Member

Fettucini alfredo is macaroni & cheese for adults

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 05:25:32 PM »

Great little feature.  

Why don't you release that as a standalone application?  I would use it just for that.  Basically let me open an image, perform splices and then resave out.
You already can, I do stuff like this all the time with SC.  You just move the pic to the screenshot folder (or open SC and navigate your screenshot folder to where the file is), and then edit it.  That said, it also explains why I requested an Open file option that I think Mouser probably just forgot to add... Wink
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010, 05:31:30 PM »

just a reminder, SC will let you drag and drop images into and out of it's thumbnail panel.

and i think you can pass a filename on commandline when calling SC to have it switch to that image file's directory and load that image -- so that does what you asked for veign, i think.

also, dont forget to use the Save+ button, to save the image with an incremented filename -- useful for preserving originals.
steeladept
Supporting Member

Fettucini alfredo is macaroni & cheese for adults

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 05:40:49 PM »

just a reminder, SC will let you drag and drop images into and out of it's thumbnail panel.

and i think you can pass a filename on commandline when calling SC to have it switch to that image file's directory and load that image -- so that does what you asked for veign, i think.

also, dont forget to use the Save+ button, to save the image with an incremented filename -- useful for preserving originals.

Yeah, yeah... tongue

I always forget about that.  That is why I do it the way I do. embarassed
AbteriX
Charter Honorary Member

Member #520

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 01:22:40 AM »

Great feature  Thmbsup

I do this often with msPaint: cut out an region, cut out one part of the two remaining parts and paste it again to fit to the other part.

Since you add such an nice feature i will use this now instead.

But as i see, the positions of the prior inserted objects (box, arrow) are not recalculated and moved with the background...
>> improvement idea... or just remember to insert the objects after the splicing?  tongue

Greetings, Stefan.
lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2010, 01:28:58 AM »

a very useful and much awaited feature.. Thmbsup

AbteriX
Charter Honorary Member

Member #520

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2010, 01:32:47 AM »

Possible icon ?

Greetings, Stefan.
nudone
Cody's Creator
Columnist

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2010, 03:44:21 AM »

that's a really, really cool feature. adobe will be coming for that when they see it - seriously, you need to patent it if it's unique. adobe love sticking features into Photoshop that they've seen elsewhere - and paying for it.
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2010, 03:47:31 AM »

lol patent it.. there is nothing complicated or clever about it.. i'd be surprised if it wasn't already in photoshop somewhere.
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2010, 03:56:31 AM »

thanks for the icon image abterix!
i'll try to fix up object positions.
nudone
Cody's Creator
Columnist

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2010, 04:22:29 AM »

lol patent it.. there is nothing complicated or clever about it.. i'd be surprised if it wasn't already in photoshop somewhere.

i've not seen it in photoshop (unless it's in CS5). maybe it can be done using an Action (i'll give it a go later). either way, it'll be in there within the next couple of versions, i bet.
tinjaw
Supporting Member

I'm so glad breakbeat techno isn't an illegal drug

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2010, 07:33:37 AM »

That's neat mouser.

ewemoa
Honorary Member

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2010, 02:05:26 PM »

you people and your hotkey shortcuts!
I think Alt-X followed by an appropriate number of arrow key presses (1 or 2) and then Enter is doable, so the current state of things seems fine.

Thanks again for this feature!
ewemoa
Honorary Member

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2010, 12:39:43 AM »

Made a proof-of-concept GIMP Script-Fu script that handles the case of the selection being longer in the horizontal direction.

If there's any interest, I'll post the code (ugly though it may be Wink ).
dluby
Charter Member

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2010, 05:15:31 AM »

Mouser, I've just tried out the splicing and it works really well.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks
cvbusa
Charter Member

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2010, 12:30:26 AM »

Very cool. Thanks.

Charles
bobholm
Supporting Member

DRACO DORMIENS NUNQUAM TITILLANDUS

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2010, 01:07:46 AM »

So where is the link where I can download the tool?
lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2010, 01:14:06 AM »

So where is the link where I can download the tool?

you can download from the official web page, here.

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.053s | Server load: 0.11 ]