ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What to use to secure delete a HDD?

(1/6) > >>

JoTo:
Hi Codeys,

i need your help.

Situation:
I got a new pc and want to gift my old one (still functioning) to a poor soul (friend of mine that has a much worse one than my old). I just want to pass on the hardware (without OS and Software installed) as he owns all software himself.

As i also pass on my system harddisk (C:) and i FOR SURE WON'T pass on all my data, i'm in need to secure erase that HDD before giving it out of my hands.

I KNOW that there are a gazillion of good and free eraser apps out there, but there is a hoop i have to jump through.

Problem:
As i'm to dumb to use a screwdriver, i'd prefer to avoid like hell to open the old pc, remove the hdd, stick it to my new pc as a secondary drive, erase it with a normal windows gui app, remove it from my new pc and reinstall it on my old one again.

Question:
Is there any free and good eraser app out there that works from e.g. Windows Console (booting from the original windows cd into console - then change CD and fire up the erase all app? I don't mind if i get any nice gui or not, it has just to erase a 160GB SATA HDD. :)

Or does anybody know about a free bootable toolcollection diskimage that contains such an app?

Any other ideas i don't think for now? (Only suggestions that leave the HDD working please! :) So "using a sledgehammer" is out! *LOL*)

Please enlighten me! TYIAVM!

Greetings
JoTo

lanux128:
the fastest way would be to use Darik's Boot and Nuke.

Darik's Boot and Nuke is a self-contained operating system that you boot onto, and then erases the hard drives so it can be properly disposed of. You can install the software to boot from a floppy disk, CD, or USB stick, depending on the computer's boot options. Wiping the disk before disposal ensures that no personal information ends up in the wrong hands, and to remain compliant to any applicable laws.
--- End quote ---

• http://dban.sourceforge.net/

P.S. congrats on your new PC..  :)

ChalkTrauma:
+1 for Darik's Boot and Nuke.

If you need the version for a bootable floppy get this:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/dban/files/dban/dban-1.0.7/dban-1.0.7_i386.exe/download

It will create the floppy for you..

Otherwise use the latest and greatest to make a bootable CD.

Stoic Joker:
+2 for DBAN

joby_toss:
+3

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version