topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:18 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Ifs of Operating Systems  (Read 3807 times)

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ifs of Operating Systems
« on: June 01, 2010, 01:19 AM »
Comment Section: http://linuxlock.blo...-brand-poisoned.html

I am a GNU/Linux user. I am also a Windows user. I also work with Apple computers. I also have an old SPARC-based Sun server at home. There is no perfect OS, no perfect computer. There are countless features of every platform that I think should be "standard" on all computer systems. But they are not. And that is the unfortunate reality.

This unfortunate reality manifests itself as series of "if" statements when talking about every OS/system/platform.

Windows is a great OS. IF you know where to get drivers. IF you know where you can and cannot go on the internet. IF you never use IE. IF you disable pop-ups and ads with Firefox extensions. Etc.

GNU/Linux is a great OS/system. IF you know enough about computers to be able to install your own OS. IF you can provide at least half of your own tech support and know where the help forums are. IF you can compile your own programs in order to get the latest versions. Etc.

Mac OS X is a great OS/platform. IF you do not play a lot of computer games. IF you do not mind paying a large price premium in return for hand-holding tech support. IF you have no idea what "vendor lock-in" means (or you do not care). Etc.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 01:21 AM by Paul Keith »

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Ifs of Operating Systems
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 07:20 AM »
I'll jump in, despite it being a strange blog post by the Helios author. I could get the same result if I walked up to random "business" people and asked them what a sliding T-bevel is used for. At least he later admits the limits of his question. In the future, don't ask, show! (The comments are worth perusal.)

GNU/Linux is a great OS/system.
Yes, it is. I enjoy it immensely.

IF you know enough about computers to be able to install your own OS.
You don't even have to burn a CD/DVD. You can buy one for $1-$2. If you can install a program, you can install a major Linux distribution in less than 15 minutes, most with less than a half dozen mouse clicks. Seriously, if you can't do this, pay Steve Jobs his ransom.

IF you can provide at least half of your own tech support and know where the help forums are.
Or just know how to fill in a search request on any site like Google, Bing, Yahoo, etc.

IF you can compile your own programs in order to get the latest versions. Etc.
Huh? My programs are updated automatically after giving permission, or I can update my entire desktop environment with about four clicks or a simple command. Never compiled a program in my life. Never will.

Mac: The same limitations of any proprietary platform that uses DRM.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 09:13 AM »
DRM... The best way to break things. :( Apple is particularly vicious with their DRM and agreements. Anything other than Apple is a massive step up.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 10:16 AM »
zridling, I think the first two Linux points are valid IF ;) you interpret them as aimed at the really clueless computer users. I'm talking here the types who fell for the Facebook Login fiasco.

As for Windows, I actually think he's reasonably right except for the drivers bit. Though I've never blocked pop-ups or ads myself and do tend to go everywhere on these big bad interwebs all without hassle.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 01:43 PM »
IF you can compile your own programs in order to get the latest versions. Etc.
Huh? My programs are updated automatically after giving permission, or I can update my entire desktop environment with about four clicks or a simple command. Never compiled a program in my life. Never will.

My first experience with Linux (which was Ubuntu) on my own computer (netbook) I had to find, download, compile, and run some funky commands to get the machine to use my wifi drivers. And every time the kernel was updated I had to run those funky commands again, or compile it all again if I deleted the compiled drivers. Thankfully in recent versions of Ubuntu this is no longer necessary, but it was all very frustrating and confusing for a brand new Linux user.

And like you said, drivers in Windows are usually never a problem with modern hardware. If you're trying to use some hardware that was made during the earlier Windows XP years then you might have problems finding 64-bit drivers. I can't use my onboard ethernet adapter for this very reason*, but my wifi adapter works great! I don't even need to find the driver for wifi anymore; that's all taken care of by Windows Update.

*Actually I would be able to use my onboard ethernet adapter if the driver didn't need to be signed. I found a driver for it but it's not signed, so Windows 7 won't let me install it.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 10:19 AM »
I am a Windows and Debian Linux user. Both of them have their own advantages. But I don't really get what's with Mac OS X. The user interface? Not really.