ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Does DRM Kill the End of a Movie??!?

<< < (2/5) > >>

Innuendo:
Most DRM works by introducing out-of-spec data into the DVD's layout. The DRM relies on the ability of most DVD players to be able to gracefully recover from these errors and keep playing your movie. Unfortunately, some players will choke on these shenanigans & the problem is only getting worse.

The DRM peddlers keep getting farther and farther out of spec in an attempt to curtail disc duplication & it's having the unwanted effect of a greater number of players are unable to process their way through the error-riddled mess.

Cost of your player has nothing to do with it, either. Sony DVD players, which are usually some of the priciest, have the worst results with heavily-laden DRMed titles because Sony players adhere to the DVD data spec very closely.

Usually when I run across a title I know has a lot of DRM I'll run it through AnyDVD first before watching it & I usually have a better experience not to mention not having to sit through all those un-skippable segments at the beginning of the disc.

Stoic Joker:
Hm... The DVD in my Comp is a Plextor PX-740A (over-burn capable Dual layer etc., etc.) - I hadn't really thought about the basic disk layout (DVD9) aspect of the issue. I rather assumed (...) that all the factory pressed DVDs were dual layer - causing the earlier disk copy methods to be lossy trying to "fit" the movie on what was available to consumers (single layer blanks) at the time.

I'm not really a movie collector - I see a movie once, and have no desire to watch it again, and again (, and again...). So I never really had an interest in the medley of knock-off methods. However I am really getting curious about then now...

The wife & I generally only rent movies on holidays because we're a bit low on family these days... and there is never anything worth sitting through on TV. So I've not a real large sampling size to work with. The three we just rented are:
Sherlock Holmes (which played fine)
2012 (which got thrown across the floor - but played fine in my 'puter)
Legion (which we haven't watched yet)

The Simpson's movie is the only other one that comes to mind (tho there were several others) that also played (or rather failed to played..) this shit also.

...Guess I'll be going on the market for a (non Sony) DVD player as the built in unit is too old for the current disk protection shenanigan level.

Frankly IMO... Video piracy just became the Robin Hood of the 21st century ... And if I gotta take it in the ass every time I want to watch a movie...I might as well be wearing tights...

Renegade:
BEGIN RANT --

Total Rant

THANK-GOD THAT SOMEBODY RAISED THIS TOPIC!!!

This is a fundamental problem that we should NOT have to deal with at all. I have more problems with legitimate DVDs that I buy than any of the illegitimate ones. (Yes -- I have bought 'fake' DVDs in places where you simply cannot buy 'real' ones.) To be honest, 'fake' DVDs work far better than 'real' DVDs.

Best bet is to buy a cheap DVD player and plug it into the TV (they are really very cheap these days).
-Carol Haynes (May 31, 2010, 09:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

No disrespect to you Carol, but that's a piss-poor solution. These guys are supposed to publish their product in a format that is a standard. If it doesn't work, then it doesn't work. Buying a new DVD player is simply far too much to expect from the consumer. e.g. "Oh, it didn't work in the brand A DVD player? Then just buy a brand B DVD player." Rinse. Repeat. Not good.

If it is a DRM issue you could try the TV manufacturer's website - sometimes they issue firmware updates to cure this sort of problem (assuming the support page is still there). Alternatively phone/email the manufacturer and see if they can send you a firmware update.
-Carol Haynes (May 31, 2010, 09:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

Again, same issue. Why should the consumer need to fart around with this kind of thing?

Most DRM works by introducing out-of-spec data into the DVD's layout. The DRM relies on the ability of most DVD players to be able to gracefully recover from these errors and keep playing your movie. Unfortunately, some players will choke on these shenanigans & the problem is only getting worse.

The DRM peddlers keep getting farther and farther out of spec in an attempt to curtail disc duplication & it's having the unwanted effect of a greater number of players are unable to process their way through the error-riddled mess.

Cost of your player has nothing to do with it, either. Sony DVD players, which are usually some of the priciest, have the worst results with heavily-laden DRMed titles because Sony players adhere to the DVD data spec very closely.

Usually when I run across a title I know has a lot of DRM I'll run it through AnyDVD first before watching it & I usually have a better experience not to mention not having to sit through all those un-skippable segments at the beginning of the disc.
-Innuendo (May 31, 2010, 11:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

DRM for DVDs is simply very, very, very broken. Not just broken, but totally f**ked.

I have some movies that I bought in an expensive DVD set that I have not been able to watch for several years. I got sick of it the other day and I downloaded a 'pirated' version of them. Now, I already 'own' copies of them in a boxed set that I bought at retail, but because of the idiocy in the DVDs, I can't watch them. i.e. The product is broken and doesn't work.

Did I break the law? Well, I simply don't give a s**t. I am sick and tired of being f**ked by paranoid d**k s**t a$$holes that would rather f**k their good customers than put up with a small amount of piracy.

Should I feel guilty for 'stealing'? Nope. In fact, I feel that they owe me for the inconvenience of having to download 'pirated' versions to view content that I already paid for.

new rant below...

Now, let's go on a new rant...

iTunes and crap like it. If you "buy" a video there, you are encumbered by their DRM (which essentially makes it useless), and on top of that, if you lose it, you're hosed. iTunes will not allow you to download content that you already paid for. You lose it? You pay for it again. No time limits. No download count. Nothing. You're f**ked.

DRM is f**ked.

Raping customers is f**ked.

I am sick of companies that treat their customers like s**t.

DISCLAIMER: All of my personal information as to who I am is publicly available. I do not hide. I do not pretend. I am not a wanker like so many of these 'lawyered-up' wankers are. If anyone wants to sue me, go ahead. I will retaliate in ways that make your grandchildren cry.

-- END RANT

Sensitive topic... ;)

Renegade:
I'm not really a movie collector - I see a movie once, and have no desire to watch it again, and again (, and again...). So I never really had an interest in the medley of knock-off methods. However I am really getting curious about then now...-Stoic Joker (May 31, 2010, 11:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

There are a few movies that I have seen a trillion times. All of which I own on either VHS or DVD and in legitimate copies (not pirated).  Most though, I forget almost instantly and have no desire to see them again.

Frankly IMO... Video piracy just became the Robin Hood of the 21st century ... And if I gotta take it in the ass every time I want to watch a movie...I might as well be wearing tights...
-Stoic Joker (May 31, 2010, 11:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

Ouch! I really don't like seeing some anal-rape in the rear-view mirror.

As far as I can see, there is some very nasty stuff going on that is simply 100% against the interests of the consumer. Who wants to screw their customers more than <insert answer here>?

Stoic Joker:
[Reguarding rant] Ya gotta admit folks, he's got style...

ROFL

I'm not really a movie collector - I see a movie once, and have no desire to watch it again, and again (, and again...). So I never really had an interest in the medley of knock-off methods. However I am really getting curious about then now...-Stoic Joker (May 31, 2010, 11:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

There are a few movies that I have seen a trillion times. All of which I own on either VHS or DVD and in legitimate copies (not pirated).  Most though, I forget almost instantly and have no desire to see them again.-Renegade (May 31, 2010, 11:58 AM)
--- End quote ---
I saw Stars Wars 6 times back when I was 15, and that was it. I've seen it again once or twice (Star Wars marathon on TV constantly) ... but I've no desire to own a copy.

-Stoic Joker (May 31, 2010, 11:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

Ouch! I really don't like seeing some anal-rape in the rear-view mirror.

As far as I can see, there is some very nasty stuff going on that is simply 100% against the interests of the consumer. Who wants to screw their customers more than <insert answer here>?-Renegade (May 31, 2010, 11:58 AM)
--- End quote ---
Damn Straight! ...Show me a movie or rock star driving a rusty Ford Pinto (just once) and then I'll believe there is a problem.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version