topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 6:47 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: AbiWord 2.8.5  (Read 3646 times)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
AbiWord 2.8.5
« on: May 31, 2010, 03:15 AM »
I never really trusted AbiWord to stay alive. People would keep praising it and I would keep avoiding it. But it has been updated very regularly and is now at version 2.8.5. It really is very agile and competent, I must say.

And free!  :)

Interoperability:
What use is a Word Processor when you can't share your documents with your friends? AbiWord is able to read and write all industry standard document types, such as OpenOffice.org documents, Microsoft Word documents, WordPerfect documents, Rich Text Format documents, HTML web pages and many more.

Multi Platform:
Enjoy your favorite Word Processor on the operating system you like to use - be it Windows, Linux, QNX, FreeBSD or Solaris. AbiWord has been designed to integrate perfectly with the operating system it runs on. It will take advantage of the functionality provided by the system, such as image loading or printing capabilities.

Internationalization:
Since not everyone in the world speaks the same language, AbiWord comes in many different languages. AbiWord is available in most common and many not-so-common languages.

Make sure your document contains none of those nasty spelling errors by using AbiWord's built-in spelling checker. Dictionaries exist for over 30 languages.

AbiWord supports right-to-left, left-to-right, and mixed-mode text. This means that in addition to supporting European languages, AbiWord supports languages like Hebrew and Arabic as well.

...and much more
-AbiWord

http://www.abisource.com/
http://majorgeeks.com/AbiWord_d5325.html

AbiWord Portable (version 2.8.2 at the moment): http://portableapps....ice/abiword_portable

Do you use AbiWord?  :tellme:

-----
Edited:
No, I didn't remember in time  :down:
this post was my post #3456  :up:
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 06:54 AM by Curt »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: AbiWord 2.8.5
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 12:41 PM »

Do you use AbiWord?  :tellme:

I run "Abi" under CrunchBang Linux on an old underpowered laptop a former client gave me. I would have junked it ages ago if it weren't so convenient to just leave it in my car for whenever I need a small portable wordprocessing device. AbiWord works just fine in that role - and I don't even care if this laptop gets broken or stolen since I keep my working files on a USB key.

If you're strictly Windows, two other small but decently featured freebie WPs are AngelWriter and Tomahawk PDF+

NativeWinds Software software also has a $36 shareware version called Tomahawk Gold which adds some additional features that easily justify the cost if you need them.

:Thmbsup:

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 01:48 PM »
I could never get spell checking to work, despite various efforts and using various versions. Otherwise it is good in my opinion.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 09:53 PM »
i never actually used Abiword before but i keep hearing good things about it. :)