Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site September 18, 2014, 04:49:43 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Read the full one-year retrospective report on DonationCoder.com.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: "Rites of Passage" applications  (Read 4743 times)
mnemonic
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: May 30, 2010, 05:42:11 PM »

It's always said that there are certain applications that all learning developers have to write as part of their "rites of passage".

A starter for ten...a text editor.

Any more?
parkint
Supporting Member

It's bad luck to be superstitious

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 09:07:53 PM »

I would add, Interface-based application.  Working with Interfaces.

app103
That scary taskbar girl
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 09:14:38 PM »

I think it depends on the particular culture you find yourself surrounded with when you start learning.

For many where I began, a chat client was a "rite of passage". In my WinMX programming chat room there must have been at least 10 of them made, some of them with chatbots included.

Then there was the "competition" on the network to see who could create the best WinMX compatible chat server.

Then the gazillion plugins for everything related to any software used on the network...most notably, Winamp/WinMX compatible chat room music spammers. (I could kick myself repeatedly for coming up with the idea for the first one) Any piece of information they could grab from somewhere else and display in the chat room, they did it, from system information, running processes, translations, google searches...the works. It made the network a crazy place.

You weren't one of the cool kids unless you made something to "enhance" someone else's winmx experience. I used to get teased for not being interested in making any of that stuff. I was content to make stuff for use outside of WinMX, like a text editor, a mini browser, a desktop clock, etc.

And it didn't stop on that network...it started all over again when we branched out to Ares Galaxy, and that was before it was open source. Renko (one of my mentors) opened a chat room there and developed a chat server with a built in javascript interpreter and debugger that could do absolutely amazing things (Arca Eclipse)....for the purpose of teaching all the kids there how to program, too. (he was the original instigator of the WinMX coding fury)

mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 10:07:28 PM »

no coding rite of passage would be complete without a game or two.
scancode
Honorary Member

I will eat Cody someday.

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 10:14:13 PM »

Every. Programmer. Must. Write. A. Tetris. Clone!

mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 03:57:37 PM »

The most important rite of passage is creating an application for the NANY event.
Another rite of passage is releasing an open source program.
mnemonic
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 04:12:51 PM »

The most important rite of passage is creating an application for the NANY event.

I completely agree with that.  The first significant-sized application I wrote was for NANY.  I now know exactly how not to structure the next one  Grin  My NANY entry this year could well have the "second-system effect" though...

To any learning developers, NANY is a great way to hustle.
Deozaan
Charter Member

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 03:27:09 PM »

Where's yours? I wanna play it. cheesy
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 04:05:20 PM by Deozaan » Logged

Deozaan
Charter Member

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 04:04:49 PM »

I thought a Rite of Passage in programming always included a "Hello World!" program.

pyrohacker

Coder, gamer, loving it.

View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2010, 08:19:11 PM »

Yeah, you've always gotta have the "Hello, World!" in there somewhere.  I wonder if anyone ever publishes any of them, though...  undecided

Hmm.  Maybe for NANY, I could...   cheesy

Funny that programmers chose the phrase "Hello, World" while most of us are introverts.
mnemonic
Supporting Member

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2010, 09:25:48 AM »

I wonder if anyone ever publishes any of them, though...  undecided

How about this chap  Grin
scancode
Honorary Member

I will eat Cody someday.

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2010, 12:18:34 PM »

Where's yours? I wanna play it. cheesy

I'm not a programmer. I'm a Software Developer (trademark)

pyrohacker

Coder, gamer, loving it.

View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2010, 10:34:35 AM »

mnemonic, that link was great!  Man, I love coding humor and traditions.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 10:41:30 AM by pyrohacker » Logged

Funny that programmers chose the phrase "Hello, World" while most of us are introverts.
app103
That scary taskbar girl
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2010, 10:47:20 PM »

Hey, he even has Martin's easm:

http://helloworldsite.he.funpic.de/hello.htm#easm

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.055s | Server load: 0.14 ]