topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:16 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: a copy of Motherboard Monitor?  (Read 4228 times)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
a copy of Motherboard Monitor?
« on: May 24, 2010, 08:06 AM »
i need a simple no-frills tool to monitor my mainboard's and gpu's temperatures. i remember Motherboard Monitor being the de-facto tool in this category but i couldn't find the webpage anymore. so if anyone has a clue to its whereabouts or have a copy of it, please share it here. tia.. :)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: a copy of Motherboard Monitor?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 09:00 AM »
It shows up on majorgeeks.com but it looks pretty old. File date is something like 2004.

http://majorgeeks.co...download.php?det=311

I use SpeedFan to monitor system temperatures. It works very well for what I need and the authors update it regularly. It's usually a top pick on all the freesoft sites.

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

if you're primarily interested in monitoring the graphic chips, MSI Afterburner is another good utility to check out.

My overclocking fanatic and hardcore gaming nephew swears by it. Says it's the best tool out there when you want to "push it till it smokes." Caveat emptor if you're using it to tweak as opposed to just monitor, I guess.  

:)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 09:18 AM by 40hz »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 01:26 PM »
http://en.wikipedia..../Motherboard_Monitor

Motherboard Monitor is a utility designed by Alexander Van Kaam for Microsoft Windows that provides live information about the state of a motherboard and other hardware, including temperatures, voltages, fan speeds, and more.

On July 6, 2004, it was announced that development on Motherboard Monitor has been stopped. However on September 13, 2006, a new update (Update 2) was released adding slightly more compatibility with new motherboards.

Current alternatives to Motherboard Monitor include SpeedFan and Core Temp.

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 04:48 PM »
Real Temp looks like another alternative (Intel only).  http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 07:34 PM »
try Open Hardware Monitor here  I haven't used it and it is still in beta.

It was featured on the windows club blog a few days back here

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 08:52 PM »
hmm.. didn't realize that MBM had stopped development. if the last version is from 2004 then it's no use to me as my current PC was built in 2007. anyway thanks for the suggestions, will try them out.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 09:37 AM »
hmm.. didn't realize that MBM had stopped development. if the last version is from 2004 then it's no use to me as my current PC was built in 2007. anyway thanks for the suggestions, will try them out.

The author stopped development because he said that motherboard manufacturers at the time were becoming really resistant to providing the technical specs needed for his program to operate. He'd wait months for his correspondence to be answered and the answers he needed would be incomplete or nonexistent.

MBM is only of use who have very old systems. It's a shame because it was truly awesome with all the functionality it provided.