ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 7 XP Mode now doesn't require hardware virtualization

(1/2) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Got an email today of from MS saying that Hyper-V hardware is no longer required for Windows 7 XP Mode in Win 7 Pro and Ultimate.

Haven't tried it yet (downloading now). It is available from:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/default.aspx

Basically you need the original two Hyper-V based downloads plus a third update which remove the Hyper-V requirement.

Innuendo:
Yes, they changed that a couple months ago. Of course, I didn't find out till after I committed to buying a new setup with Hyper-V support, but I needed to upgrade my setup anyway. It was starting to get too slow for some of the things I enjoy doing.

Carol Haynes:
I have to say it is quite nice having integrated Windows XP Mode from the Start menu. Bit slow when you load the first application but after that it is reasonable to use.

You can also create multiple XP VMs based on the same base install - so no activation issues (and presumably add other Windows such as Vista and 7 though I haven't tried that yet) - and have installed apps appear in the start menu too. Neat solution.

VMWare is less convenient because you have to start a machine manually to activate an application (and not free). Having said that Unity mode makes it pretty much the same as the MS solution once you have a VM open. I have to say that VMWare's virtual machine is much quicker in use than the MS Version and there is more flexibility when it comes to clients.

I didn't find out till after I committed to buying a new setup with Hyper-V support
-Innuendo (May 30, 2010, 09:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

At least you can use the VMWare ESX client now so that you can virtualise your whole system if you want ;)

nudone:
interesting. i was wondering if it was worth switching away from vmware. i think i'll stick with it if it offers better performance.

Deozaan:
I downloaded this within the past month so that I could run a 16-bit game made for Windows 95 that doesn't run on 64-bit Windows. The game runs, but unfortunately it has performance problems while performing simple operations like click the mouse or dragging something from one place to another, so I end up getting frustrated real quick and don't play the game anyway. :(

I wonder if VMWare would have the same issues. . .  :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version