topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:18 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Can I replace .NET with Mono (or anything)?  (Read 6403 times)

brahman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Can I replace .NET with Mono (or anything)?
« on: May 27, 2010, 11:39 AM »
Hi everybody,

I really don't like .NET and therefore have it not installed on some of my computers. My reasons are my reasons - meaning I do not really want to discuss them here ;).

Yet some programs upgrades (f.e. latest beta of text crawler) now require .NET.

Now I heard about Mono being a .NET replacement, so I thought I install Mono and then I can run those .NET programs w/o .NET.

Doesn't seem to work with Mono compact installation though.

Is my reasoning faulty?

Please enlighten me - is there a way of running .NET programs w/o installing .NET?
Regards, Brahman

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Can I replace .NET with Mono (or anything)?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 12:09 PM »
Mono is an OSS implementation of the .NET framework, so that developers can develop applications using .NET architecture without the .NET framework (and so that they can be cross platform).  If a developer uses mono to develop, then mono will be the framework that you have to deploy.  If a developer uses .net to develop, then .net will be the framework that you have to deploy.

For more information, see http://en.wikipedia..../Mono_%28software%29

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 12:22 PM »
Mono is an OSS implementation of the .NET framework, so that developers can develop applications using .NET architecture without the .NET framework (and so that they can be cross platform).  If a developer uses mono to develop, then mono will be the framework that you have to deploy.  If a developer uses .net to develop, then .net will be the framework that you have to deploy.

For more information, see http://en.wikipedia..../Mono_%28software%29
I don't believe this is exactly correct, and I didn't see anywhere in the link that would change my mind.  However, I am open to more information proving me wrong if this is indeed the case.

From my understanding, if you use Mono, SOME .Net developed applications *Should* work, though compatability is far from complete.  Moreover, as an OSS implimentation, it is by design at least a generation behind .Net development. 

Mono for Windows makes little sense to me unless you are using (or trying to use) an application developed specifically in Mono that doesn't work with .Net.  I respect your not willing to discuss your reasons, but I will still put forth my 2 cents about the issue in general.  If you are against using .Net due to bloat, the need for the framework, or some other similar issue, then I don't see the point of Mono as it suffers from the same things.  It is a framework that mimics most of .Net's functionality for the targeted version of .Net.  If it is a more philosophical reason, well then I can't argue in favor of .Net at all as that is why you are avoiding it. 

Personally, I like the idea of Mono better specifically because it *CAN* be cross-platform (and no other reason really).  However, the implementation of it has really not been up to my expectation, so I still don't use it yet.  For this reason, I have taken to a lot of the RIA platforms, Silverlight/Moonlight in particular.  It isn't quite up to par either, but it is more complete in my view than Mono.

Now that I am far afield, I will stop.  I hope that helps.

brahman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 12:42 PM »
Thanks.

There used to be sthg like .NET runtime binaries? F.e. old winlite versions had this. Is it still around?
Regards, Brahman

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 12:45 PM »
Not really running without installing .NET but if you have .NET apps that only require .NET 2.0 there should be a small runtime you can download.  For instance on FAVC site there's a .NET 2.0 runtime link that goes to MS download page:

http://www.microsoft...5&displaylang=en

I guess not all that small.  The installer is 22 MB of compressed whatever. :)
But when I was using XP I didn't mind getting .NET 2.0 apps since I already put the .NET 2.0 package on for FAVC.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 01:08 PM »
I don't believe this is exactly correct, and I didn't see anywhere in the link that would change my mind.  However, I am open to more information proving me wrong if this is indeed the case.

From my understanding, if you use Mono, SOME .Net developed applications *Should* work, though compatability is far from complete.  Moreover, as an OSS implimentation, it is by design at least a generation behind .Net development. 

They soft shoe what's required.

Read http://mono-project.com/FAQ:_General

Then go to the link that leads to the Mono Migration Analyzer (http://mono-project.com/Moma)

Look at this part explicitly:
The Mono Migration Analyzer (MoMA) tool helps you identify issues you may have when porting your .Net application to Mono.

If it will truly run compiled binaries (which would require that it usurp the linkings between the code and the .NET libraries) then why the word port?  I haven't tested it, but from everything I understand, they have the libraries to allow applications to utilize Mono, but it isn't merely a swap of the frameworks.

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 01:51 PM »
Interesting....Sounds like a trial to be had  :D

Just got to find a good .Net app to try out - oh, and a decent platform to run Mono on.  I have my PC down at the moment while I rebuild my computer room (went down to the studs).  I am almost ready to bring it back online, but until then, I am stuck with the work laptop that I can't install it on.