ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > DC Gamer Club

Valve: "Mac is 5 times more stable than windows running games"

<< < (2/2)

JavaJones:
To be clear, they have test data from precisely 1 game - Portal. It's also a smaller sample size by far than their Windows install base. Make of that what you will.

Assuming it's true, which I don't necessarily dispute, it's not really shocking considering the tight control Apple exercises over its hardware. A ton of the Windows side machines that are being compared to are almost certainly either much older, or much lower spec/cost in hardware. The fairest comparison would be like-for-like hardware *and* cost. So let's say a $500 budget Winodws machine with cut rate hardware is comparable (Core 2 Duo or whatever) to a low-end iMac at $1000 or something. Still not a fair comparison because the iMac uses better brand hardware, with better drivers, etc. Let's compare a $1000 PC to a $1000 Mac and then we'll really see what the stability comparison is on the same *class* of system. That's the real key... Basically Mac comes out smelling like roses in this comparison because they don't *have* machines in the class of system that are likely causing most crashes. ;)

- Oshyan

Eóin:
+1 JavaJones

It's a nonsense comparison, like saying HiFi's are better for games than SatNav's. Compare like with like and then maybe you'll have something ever so slightly educated and informed to say.

Darwin:
5 times more stable?  Not 4 or 6?  Or maybe 4.997?  I hate statements that try to apply an obviously subjective number to a non-empirical statement.
-wraith808 (May 27, 2010, 10:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

Exactly my thought - how the hell did they quantify this (hint: they didn't).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version