ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Word 2007: Are Table Styles safe to use now?

<< < (6/9) > >>

Target:
Sorry to jump in, but isn't that exactly what the InfoQube built-in HTML export (settings mode) gives you ?-PPLandry (May 27, 2010, 08:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

not to denigrate a useful function in a great app, but in my experience pasting html into word = blech!!

Armando:
Hi,

I don't know if it can be of any help but here'S my own experience :

I  have a document here that I created using an IQ HTML export (it was a whole play that I directed about a year ago.)

Document statistics :

Pages:   99
Paragraphs:   1298
Lines :   9988
Words:   15185
Characters:   70042
Characters (with spaces):   90391

It contains 7 columns and exactly 612 rows.

This is by no means a small table. I don't know how big do you need your table to be, but mine seems pretty big...

As far as the documents resistance to "corruption", well, no idea. I only once experienced corruption in a Word document, and it was such a long time ago that I don't remember when. Keep in mind that I have 100s of Word documents, and that I wrote my 250p Masters and started my 500 pages PhD with Word  -- and with many tables, graphics, etc. And... I use a laptop

The biggest document I have on my HD is a social science book I had to scan a long time ago. It contains columns and tables, heavy formatting everywhere, etc. It's 527p long -- the book was actually 1022 p long. It's not corrupted yet and I've used it a lot (underlined, highlighted, commented, etc.).

Pages: 527
Paragraphs: 15597
Lines: 51784
Words: 445505
Characters: 2408220
Characters (with spaces): 2846525

I'm using Word 2003 BTW. It's light, fast and works well...

============

As far as formatting and styles goes : if you work in IQ anyways to generate your index, working/editing in Word isn't probably be what you'll be doing most of the time. You'll basically end up 1- exporting 2- formatting using styles. Which is very easy when you've got a table since you can select a full 99 pages column and... Apply a style. It takes a 2-3 second on my very average laptop (just tried it)

But of course this depends on the complexity of the needed formatting.

Keep in mind though that IQ generates lots of columns at the right. Those need to be selected and deleted for easier table manipulation. I have no idea why these are there.

PPLandry:
I have used the html export feature, but is that the "best" way of putting it into a Word document?  I make a point of this, because this is the first time I'm using Word the "right" way with styles, templates, fields, etc.
-superboyac (May 27, 2010, 08:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

HTML Export is one way,

The other way is :

1- Select the content
2- Edit>>Copy and choose Tab-delimited format.
3- Paste this into Word (paste special > unformatted text)
4- Select the text and Table >>  convert it to a table (tab delimited)

superboyac:
I have used the html export feature, but is that the "best" way of putting it into a Word document?  I make a point of this, because this is the first time I'm using Word the "right" way with styles, templates, fields, etc.
-superboyac (May 27, 2010, 08:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

HTML Export is one way,

The other way is :

1- Select the content
2- Edit>>Copy and choose Tab-delimited format.
3- Paste this into Word (paste special > unformatted text)
4- Select the text and Table >>  convert it to a table (tab delimited)

-PPLandry (May 27, 2010, 10:11 PM)
--- End quote ---
Interesting.  I'll have to try that tomorrow.  incidentally, when I have carriage returns in one of the cells in my grid in InfoQube, when I export it in anything besides HTML export, those carriage returns become a new line or cell, which makes sense, I suppose.  The problem is that it adds blank cells under the cells next to it to make it all fit.  The problem with that is when you use it to make a table, it messes up all the grid border format, because all the blank cells get borders also.  If there's a way around it, that would be nice.  I can't think of a good solution.

Target:
Interesting.  I'll have to try that tomorrow.  incidentally, when I have carriage returns in one of the cells in my grid in InfoQube, when I export it in anything besides HTML export, those carriage returns become a new line or cell, which makes sense, I suppose.  The problem is that it adds blank cells under the cells next to it to make it all fit.  The problem with that is when you use it to make a table, it messes up all the grid border format, because all the blank cells get borders also.  If there's a way around it, that would be nice.  I can't think of a good solution.
-superboyac (May 27, 2010, 11:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

this is one of those situations where you don't use 'hard' carriage returns - in Word you use SHIFT+RETURN instead, though whether or not IQ follows this behaviour I don't know

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version