topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 6:39 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Cell phone number porting  (Read 7201 times)

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Cell phone number porting
« on: May 26, 2010, 08:24 PM »
Anybody know how number porting works? I ordered a new phone online (HTC Incredible) which is currently backordered. I asked to have my current number ported. I'm assuming that the phone will come already activated. So, what happens after Verizon activates my new phone with the ported number from Sprint? There will be a couple of days overlap with both old and new phones having the same number, or is my old phone disabled as soon as Verizon activates the new one? Will I be without a phone while the new one is in transit?

bgd77

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Cell phone number porting
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 04:12 AM »
You are not living in EU, are you?

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 06:05 AM »
No, USA

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 06:13 AM »
Well I'm not sure how the US system differs but if you're buying the Phone SIM free, and US SIM cards aren't locked to a particular phone then all you'd need to is manually transfer the cards.

Basically the EU way was (is) that phones were locked to a network, but a networks card could be used in any unlocked phone.

bgd77

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 06:40 AM »
I think that edbro wants to port his number from one provider to another, so not only change phones.

I have ported numbers in my country, which is in the EU. Porting a number means a new SIM card is needed. When the new SIM card is activated with the same number, the old SIM is deactivated. Will the new phone come with an already activated SIM card? Because here the SIM cards come separately and they are activated the first time when you use it.

Basically the EU way was (is) that phones were locked to a network, but a networks card could be used in any unlocked phone.

This does not apply to all telecom operators. There is one in my country that does not lock phones to its network, so a SIM card from another company can be used.

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 07:45 AM »
I don't even know if we use sim cards. I've never had to mess with one. I've had 5 or 6 phones, all with Sprint and never had a sim card.

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 12:09 PM »
Verizon does not use SIM cards.  To my knowledge, only T-Mobile and AT&T do right now, and even then, not on all phones.  One of my gripes about Verizon, because SIM cards make life MUCH EASIER.  To answer the question, you will be without a phone number for a few days if they send it ready to go.  The only other option I know of is the one I use and that is to take the phone to a store (or authorized reseller of Verizon products) and have them port the number for you.  I don't know how likely or even doable this is, but I always buy from the store so the number switches immediately without interruption.

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 12:19 PM »
Thanks steeladept for the clear answer.

Buying from the store is not an option as I have already ordered online. I'm getting an HTC Incredible. Unfortunately, they are backordered everwhere. You will rarely find them in stores and online sales are backordered for about 3 weeks. I ordered on 17 May and have an estimated ship of 4 Jun. If ordered today they show a 17 Jun ship date. All the reviews say it is worth the wait though.

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 12:29 PM »
Believe me, I understand.  Let me know how it goes, as it is one I have been considering for when I can upgrade in the fall.  Hopefully they will be caught up by then.  

As for when to expect the phone to go dead, I would expect it to be the ship date (June 4 in your case).  If it doesn't drop by then, they may ship it without a number and then transfer your number over the phone (must be from a different phone) after you get it.  I really don't know how they do so through the mail.  What I do know is they can not port the number while it is in service.  Behind the scenes, they turn off your current phone, port the number, register it to their network, then assign it to the phone via the ESN number.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 12:30 PM by steeladept »

parkint

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
  • It's bad luck to be superstitious
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 10:32 PM »
Your number CANNOT exist with two carriers at the same time.

Exactly how the transition takes place is really up to the new carrier (what their procedure is).
I would suspect (I would like to hope) they provide you the new phone and then give you an option to determine/control when you have the number ported.  The actual process of porting the number takes only a few minutes.

HTH