ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

(Help)Any Outlook 2007 Gurus Out There?

(1/2) > >>

y0himba:
Here is my issue.  I have been backing up my .pst (email) since Windows XP.  It has grown and I have emails saved from...well, forever? Always importing and then backing up, blah blah.  I have them saved in a folder structure, SAVED is the root, the under that there are 6 sub-folders. 

I need a rule that will run on the main folder and all sub folders, moving all mail that is older than 2008 to another folder, or archiving it, automagically.  I am trying to clean the PST, it is around 900mb.  I would like to create a separate PST of all this old mail that I can then put on CD or DVD in case I ever need it, while reducing the file size of the PSt that I actually use.

Any takers?

Curt:
Your question is much too difficult for me, but...
why not just use a back up program, to save the mails,
and then simply delete the old ones?

Carol Haynes:
Can't you simply use the Archive function built into Outlook - you can specify to archive emails older than a certain age and automatically delete them from the current PST file. It will also preserve the folder structure in the archive.

Another good way of doing this is to use MailStore Home edition which will archive all of your email in an easily searchable database. You can even reply to emails and extract attachments etc. within MailStore. You can also instruct mailstore to remove emails older than a certain date (and other rules). The home version is free and works great. You can also use it with POP and IMAP servers and various other services. Data can be restored top any service you fancy (including Outlook) one email at a time or any number of emails you want (including the whole archive). It also has an automated CD/DVD/Folder backup routine to keep copies of the archive.

y0himba:
Your question is much too difficult for me, but...
why not just use a back up program, to save the mails,
and then simply delete the old ones?

-Curt (May 25, 2010, 07:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

There are so many that going through and deleting them 1 by 1 would take far too long.  

Can't you simply use the Archive function built into Outlook - you can specify to archive emails older than a certain age and automatically delete them from the current PST file. It will also preserve the folder structure in the archive.

Another good way of doing this is to use MailStore Home edition which will archive all of your email in an easily searchable database. You can even reply to emails and extract attachments etc. within MailStore. You can also instruct mailstore to remove emails older than a certain date (and other rules). The home version is free and works great. You can also use it with POP and IMAP servers and various other services. Data can be restored top any service you fancy (including Outlook) one email at a time or any number of emails you want (including the whole archive). It also has an automated CD/DVD/Folder backup routine to keep copies of the archive.
-Carol Haynes (May 25, 2010, 08:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

As for archive, it only deletes them, not moves them to another folder/PST that I can back up.  Mailstore would just create yet another file.  Why would I need that?  I use Microsoft's own Personal Folders Backup, and it works perfectly to back up the PST.  I need to move all those messages to a separate PST for archiving.

Stoic Joker:
As for archive, it only deletes them, not moves them to another folder/PST that I can back up.
-y0himba (May 25, 2010, 08:22 AM)
--- End quote ---
The Outlook Archive function moves everything archived to Archive.pst. Which will be in the same location as the default Outlook.pst.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version