ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Double quoted command line arguments

(1/2) > >>

daddydave:
You know how command line arguments with spaces have to be in double quotes in Windows for pretty much any program?

taskdaddy "@@Errand Go to the market"

Are the double quotes locale dependent, i.e.
taskdaddy «@@Errand Allez à la marché»

or do "English" double quotes work in every region?

The formal second person when talking to yourself is probably wrong grammatically, but you get the idea.

Jibz:
I don't think I've seen a command line parser that uses anything but " (ascii 34 or the unicode equivalent) as double quote.

skwire:
Agreed.  I've only ever seen straight-up ".

daddydave:
@skwire, @Jibz:

Thanks, that makes life a little easier. :)

MilesAhead:
It might be interesting to ask on a dedicated Windows group/forum like this one for W7:

http://www.sevenforums.com/

Maybe someone using Japanese version of Windows could tell you.  Should be a simple matter of checking an entry to see if the param is the usual "%1" or if there's some other token besides  the ".

I'm no unicode expert but I think the code for the 127 characters is the same in unicode so they probably just stuck with the quote.  I remember in Delphi when you created an ActiveX Control from a TWinControl the strings were automatically converted to wstring type(equivalent to BSTRING type,) but only the first 127 char codes were handled automatically.  All the compiler had to do was use 2 bytes instead of 1 for each character.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version