topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 4:31 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Feature request: Automatic Modify Format based on application  (Read 3599 times)

asselin

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'd like to have the ability to automatically apply a preset format modification based on the application I cut the text from.  My particular use case is this: I use Lotus notes for email, and when you do a copy a link to a document, it gives you something that looks like this:

Andre Asselin - email subject
<NDL>
<REPLICA 853F6275:0A3F7821>
<VIEW OFFD88E3E0:82915F9B-ON853566A4:0168B3AA>
<NOTE OFA2138B53:9140774A-ONB62A7783:0444C6B7>
<HINT>CN=D03NM123/OU=03/OU=M/O=IBM</HINT>
<REM>Database 'Andre Asselin', View 'Inbox', Document 'email subject'</REM>
</NDL>

If you transform that to this:

Notes://D03NM123/853F62750A3F7821/FD88E3E082915F9B853566A40168B3AA/A2138B539140774AB62A77830444C6B7

you get a link that can actually open from other applications.  I can write a preset (using regex), and press CTRL-ALT-Q to bring up the menu, and pick the transform from the menu, but that's kind of a pain.

If CHS had the ability to detect the clip is coming from notes2.exe and automatically apply the preset to it, then all I'd have to do is hit CTRL-V to paste a usable link into another application.

Alternatively, how about assigning a hot key to apply a preset and paste?

Thanks...

- Andre Asselin

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Feature request: Automatic Modify Format based on application
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 04:10 PM »
Alternatively, how about assigning a hot key to apply a preset and paste?
this i can and will do -- i will try to make a chs release in the next couple of weeks with this hotkey support.

as far as applying a format modification based on application.. i'm trying to think of a simpler and more generic approach.. maybe a way to say when a copy event from "application X, optionally matching pattern Y" is triggered, launch some external script and provide it with the clip info.  that way you could write a script in perl, python, powershell, or whatever to do what you want.  i suppose i could also let it trigger a built in transformer too.

asselin

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Feature request: Automatic Modify Format based on application
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 09:13 PM »
That would be awesome, I'm looking forward to trying it out.

I agree with your comment that making things more generic would be better.  I vote to also let it trigger an internal transformer-- with regex support in there, you can do some pretty powerful transformations without having to write an external script.

Also, thanks for the quick response.