Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site October 24, 2014, 11:14:16 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2012! Download dozens of custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Do you know a free HTML editor with real time preview in adjacent pane?  (Read 22141 times)
David.P
Supporting Member

Ergonomics Junkie

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2012, 02:04:01 AM »

OK, two more free Editors that look very promising are a) Microsoft Office SharePoint Designer 2007, and b) Amaya.

While both have WYSIWYG editing and synchronized html source split view/edit, SharePoint Designer probably is somewhat overly complex for simple editing tasks.

Amaya OTOH seems to have just the right degree of complexity vs. functions for doing quick edits on a page.

Cheers David.P

urlwolf
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2012, 08:05:23 AM »

It┬┤s easier to use a normal editor, and have a browser that autorefreshes with changes next to it.
For FF, you have autoreload: https://addons.mozilla.or...ddon/auto-reload/?src=api
flamerz
Supporting Member

« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2012, 12:41:16 PM »

i want to recommend Webcoder 2010. (is paid, but its worth the price)
HankFriedman
Supporting Member

A computer nerd whose also a psychic & astrologer

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2012, 05:40:25 PM »

I had already evaluated SharePoint Designer and Amaya on earlier pages, and the problem with urlwolf's suggestion, which I tried out, is that you have to save the file to see the changes in FireFox, which is inconvenient at best. Sad

And I tried Webcoder 2010 and the preview was not active, or at least when it refreshed it jumped to the top of the page, instead of keeping focus on where one is working. That's not useful. Sad

Am I missing something?
David.P
Supporting Member

Ergonomics Junkie

« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2012, 01:57:04 AM »

Hank, what was wrong with SharePoint Designer?

I had to make sure to get the 2007 version (not the 2010 version) because the former doesn't need access to SharePoint (whatever that is) in order to edit my webpages.

Regards David.P
--
PS: two more editors with split screen mode -- and two caveats: 1.) I haven't tried them and 2.) they are payware.

Alleycode:

MyEclipse:

« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 05:54:30 AM by David.P » Logged

wraith808
Supporting Member

"In my dreams, I always do it right."

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2012, 08:00:30 AM »

Alleycode seems to be free.

HankFriedman
Supporting Member

« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2012, 01:09:19 PM »

I wish those adding comments would look over the whole thread first to see if a program has already been mentioned.  Sad

I just tested Webcoder 2010, and corresponded with its very nice author.  smiley

Unfortunately, while it has an active preview, one has to hit the F12 key every time one wants a refresh. I have been looking for a program that has an effective auto-refresh.

In answer to the query, what did I think of the Microsoft Sharepoint, the answer is that the preview was well executed, but the HTML editing functions were way too few compared with most solid HTML editors.

Thank you all of your contributions. You have inspired me to keep on looking.
David.P
Supporting Member

Ergonomics Junkie

« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2012, 01:25:52 PM »

hmmm, SharePoint Designer, and "way too few HTML editing functions"...?

Are we talking about the same software?

My impression is that SharePoint Designer is almost overly complex, compared to most Editors that have been mentioned in this thread:

Actually I think I'll stick with SharePoint Designer because it's WYSIWYG-editing capabilities, and synchronized source code view are the best I've seen so far in any software I've tried.

Btw, neither Webcoder, nor MyEclipse or Alleycode have been mentioned before.

HankFriedman
Supporting Member

« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2012, 05:20:37 PM »

To David.P:

I had evaluated Alleycode during my first swing years ago, and must have left it out.

I re-evaluated it just now and still don't find it worthwhile because:

1. It only offers a horizontal (and on top!) preview -- I wanted a side-by-side preview pane.

2. I am a big fan of macros, snippets, etc. and Alleycode doesn't offer these. They really speed up my coding, and I really need them.

And yes, I wasn't specifically referring to you with regard to people not reading the whole post before.

The yearly fee for MyEclipse seems a bit much to me, given that you can purchase other programs just once and be done with paying for them. But I will probably examine it too.

Thank you and everyone very much for keeping this thread alive.

David.P
Supporting Member

Ergonomics Junkie

« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2012, 05:28:14 PM »

Alleycode? I thought we were discussing the functions of SharePoint Designer, lastly.

Anyway, I'll go for the latter -- I really have come to like it.

Cheers David.P

HankFriedman
Supporting Member

« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2012, 05:30:34 PM »

Dear David.P,

I just installed the 2007 Sharepoint Designer to evaluate it again, but it didn't create an icon on my desktop.

Can you tell me where to find the .exe so I can run it?

thanks

Hank
wraith808
Supporting Member

"In my dreams, I always do it right."

« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2012, 05:35:52 PM »

The yearly fee for MyEclipse seems a bit much to me, given that you can purchase other programs just once and be done with paying for them.

I'd noticed the subscription fee, but thought it was like others that you got upgrades during the year for free.  After perusing the FAQ, I came across this gem:

[Subscriptions] What happens when my subscription expires?

MyEclipse will start reminding you that you are getting close to the expiration date a month in advance. If you decide to let your subscription expire, MyEclipse will disable itself within your Eclipse install. This means any MyEclipse-specific functionality you were making use of will be disabled, however none of the other functionality provided by your Eclipse install will be affected, all the remaining plugins (including Eclipse itself) will continue to function without interruption.

People actually buy rent this POS?

David.P
Supporting Member

Ergonomics Junkie

« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2012, 05:40:32 PM »

I just installed the 2007 Sharepoint Designer to evaluate it again, but it didn't create an icon on my desktop.
Can you tell me where to find the .exe so I can run it?
huh

Should be somewhere around these parts:

\[Programs]\Microsoft Office\Office12\SPDESIGN.EXE

Regards David.P

HankFriedman
Supporting Member

« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2012, 10:10:14 PM »

David.P Thank you very much! I found it.

Now for more testing!

:-)
HankFriedman
Supporting Member

« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2012, 11:50:35 AM »

I explored Nvu and it does not have any ability to show code and preview at the same time.

I am exploring the 2007 Sharepoint Designer, which does indeed seem powerful but unfortunately only has the preview below the code not side-by-side which I would find ideal. Still, I'm going to look at it more.
HankFriedman
Supporting Member

« Reply #65 on: March 29, 2012, 03:53:00 PM »

I re-tested ACEHtml and it has several problems:

one cannot see the preview pane at the same time as the coding pane,

and worse, even when you decline to accept it taking over your home page and installing extra software (MyStart Toolbar), it still repeatedly tries to install the toolbar for hours, and when you uninstall ACEHtml, the MyStart Toolbar remains in the system.

Bad software.  Angry
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 12:46:06 AM by HankFriedman » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.034s | Server load: 0.44 ]