topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 10:20 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Windows shortcut hotkeys broken?  (Read 6208 times)

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Windows shortcut hotkeys broken?
« on: May 23, 2010, 04:22 PM »
If you make a shortcut, then click on Properties, you get a window with several tabs.  The Shortcut tab lets you set a "Shortcut key" hotkey to activate the program.

These hotkeys don't work for me.

I checked with Nir Sofer's ShortcutsMan shortcuts manager, which reported the hotkey set, but pressing the hotkey didn't activate the program.  Nothing happened, though sometimes the foreground application would lose focus.

Do other people have problems with this, and is there a cure?  I'm running Vista Home Premium with UAC On, and routinely a User Account rather than an Admin one.

This problem has got worse recently.  Because I couldn't get hotkeys to work natively I use Hoekey to supply them instead.  This works.  However, I also run Online Armor Firewall.  Until recently I ran with HIPS Off, and things were as acceptable as they ever are with Windows.  I just turned HIPS On, and now it takes ages for the hotkey to operate.  This is particularly important because I mostly use Horst Schaeffer's PopSel to launch programs and use a Hoekey hotkey to pop up the menu, so loading programs is currently maddeningly slow.

I just posted a query about HIPS slowing things down in the Online Armor forum, but can anyone shed any light on the non-performance of the native WIndows hotkey feature?

Thanks...

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows shortcut hotkeys broken?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 04:57 PM »
the non-performance of the native WIndows hotkey feature

I've always found the native feature kind of iffy.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 05:03 PM »
the non-performance of the native WIndows hotkey feature

I've always found the native feature kind of iffy.

Likewise.  I gave up using the native shortcut keys back under Windows 98.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 06:08 PM »
I have never been able to get that to work on any version of Windows. I gave up trying.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 06:18 PM »
I have never been able to get that to work on any version of Windows. I gave up trying.

It's a relief to know I'm not alone!!  Every time somebody suggests launching the app with a hotkey instead of having it run in the tray I end up trying it. The football gets pulled away again!! :)

The more things change the more they remain the same.  Like I use StandAlone Stacks in W7 and sure enough half the stacks have a program with the old blank paper icon. If you fix that one, it just switches to another and you chase it round and round.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 08:33 PM »
If you make a shortcut, then click on Properties, you get a window with several tabs.  The Shortcut tab lets you set a "Shortcut key" hotkey to activate the program.

These hotkeys don't work for me.

on my PC, they only work if the shortcuts are on the desktop by itself. even if it's inside a folder on the desktop won't work..

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 02:08 AM »
Regarding a possible Online Armor issue- try adding Hoekey, PopSel, and any other hotkey related apps to the Exclusions Tab (under Options). Then those specific apps should have a free pass without interference from OA's Program Guard/HIPs.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 08:45 AM »
Well, I'm glad it's not just me!  :o  Thanks for the moral support  ;)

@lanux128:  I think I've seen that behaviour, but even with a shortcut to something on the desktop, it seemed slow, so I abandoned native Windows hotkeys in favour of Hoekey.

@sajman99:  I'm using O-A 4.0.0.15.  Both Hoekey and PopSel were Allowed under Configuration > Programs.  You mean, put them in tab Options > Exclusions?  I'll try that; thanks, sounds like it should help.

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 03:16 PM »
Yep, the Options/Exclusions section of OA is what I meant. Sorry I haven't responded before now, but I've been computer-less for the last few weeks (ie. failed power supply).

Hope your issues were resolved or at least minimized so that you can continue to use your preferred hotkey apps.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2010, 03:43 PM »
Yep, the Options/Exclusions section of OA is what I meant. Sorry I haven't responded before now, but I've been computer-less for the last few weeks (ie. failed power supply).

Hope your issues were resolved or at least minimized so that you can continue to use your preferred hotkey apps.

I'm not sure how much difference it's really made, but it can't hurt.  My system seems so slow anyway, probably because of all the security stuff, updates and so on.  It's just driven me round the bend by downloading a huge Windows update and insisting on a compulsory reboot, without allowing me to postpone it - just when I was doing a large music download from the Music on Demand department of the Minnesota Orchestra.  I've had to request a new download link.  Microsoft know how to enrage their customers.

Hope your PSU problems are solved now...