ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Circle Dock

"CleanDesktop" - The Sarge's latest challenge to the developers!

(1/5) > >>

Markham:
Very late last night (Cebu time), the Sarge was musing about some of the newer additions to Circle Dock and wondered if it would be possible to have a small command-line utility that would hide or show the icons on the Windows Desktop. He, being a marketing type, believes that such a program would be rather popular and basically "threw-down the gauntlet" challenging me to come up with such a program.

Well, Sarge, I have risen to your challenge and released "CleanDesktop" which does precisely what you asked for - and then some! Not only can it hide, show or toggle the visibility of the Windows Desktop Icons but also it can do the same for the Sidebar and its gadgets. Both items can be controlled independently or together using its command-line options.

The download zip file contains both the executable program and a "read-me" file that explains the various options.

The download is here - CleanDesktopV1.1.Zip

Enjoy!

Mark

cranioscopical:
Thank you for making this available!

FWIW, on my XP SP3 32-bit:
 -HideIcons and -ShowIcons work but -ToggleIcons has no effect.
 -HideAll and -ShowAll work but -ToggleAll has no effect.

Stoic Joker:

-cranioscopical (May 23, 2010, 07:28 AM)
--- End quote ---
I can confirm said (XP SP3) behavior here also.

Markham:

-cranioscopical (May 23, 2010, 07:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

Unfortunately I don't have access to PC with XP loaded right now - but will have in ten days' time when I'm back in the UK for a few weeks.

The problem with XP is that the Desktop Icons are contained within a child window of a hidden window. This means that IsWindowVisible() will always return false because even if the child window is visible, the function returns false because its parent is hidden. If a parent window is itself hidden, you can not determine whether any of its child windows are visible or hidden.

Mark

Mark

sgtevmckay:
The entire concept that  drove me to request this little addition was developed from a seriously outdated software.
More info here:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/create-a-shortcut-or-hotkey-to-turn-the-desktop-icons-on-or-off/

In windows XP, and earlier, it worked like a champ. In Vista was hit and miss, and in Windows 7 would work reliably, IF you did not run any of Windows Desktop changer programs for the background :(
There is also the issue that Windows and the way it handles Hiding desktop Icons changed between XP, Vista and 7

This was the answer to this problem, as Markham's tool in Circle Dock proved not to screw things up in Windows 7, or rather was properly compatible.

I also intend to use this a s Promo tool for Circle Dock in as much:
"You like this try the whole package"

But there has also been a call for a stable, small, and compatible program for some time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version