topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 2:51 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: How to automatically collect posts from a forum (that match a criteria)?  (Read 3447 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Is the following possible:
Use a program or something to automatically collect a bunch of posts from a forum that match a certain criteria?  For example, let's say I want to collect all the posts that a certain user did that had a certain title.  Also, if there is formatting (bold, italics, smileys), could those be grabbed also?

Take the Tech News that is regularly posted by Ehtyar, is there a program where I can collect all of those and store it on my computer somehow?  But I'm specifically interested in doing it for another forum.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
something like that, if can be automated will of good use. currently i use google/doco search and save the 'print' version (like this) into pdf files. unfortunately the 'print' version doesn't include any images/screenshots from a thread.

so i agree this is a good idea. reminds me of a sieve like function.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i've not used it but can Yahoo Pipes do this sort of thing?

http://pipes.yahoo.com/pipes/

adi_barb

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
  • Knowledge comes, but wisdom lingers.
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
you should look for a web content extractor software or you may want to find a programmer who could make you the script for one or more types of forums. one must know all types of forums to easily implement some general algos for parsing their content. anyway... are you sure the forum's owners would be happy to know someone is taking their content?