ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Free ALZip 8.0 License

<< < (2/2)

Renegade:
ALZip is what most people need. It's simple to use and intuitive. It's far easier than WinRar or 7zip. However, it lacks the configuration that you can get with those more complex tools. If you really need all those options, then ALZip isn't for you.

I've had a look at the new 8.0 beta, and they've removed some options in favor of a simpler and easier interface. e.g. The speed extractor is now simpler. (Incidentally, I designed the speed extractor. :) ) The most interesting thing is the new EGG compression format as it has smart compression for different file types, e.g. JPEG vs. PNG vs. BMP all benefit from different compression types. It also does solid compression now, which is very nice.

Now, if the development road map is still relatively the same as when I was there, v8.0 will be ported to OS X and Linux as well. Not sure though as I've not asked about that.

steeladept:
Now, if the development road map is still relatively the same as when I was there, v8.0 will be ported to OS X and Linux as well. Not sure though as I've not asked about that.
-Renegade (May 20, 2010, 08:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

Now THAT would be awesome!  I have been using AlZip for a long time (version 4 or 5 if I remember correctly), and though 8 is a little simpler, it has everything that I needed WinRAR for that WinZip didn't supply.  WinRAR is nice, but AlZip is cheaper and easier for most uses.  In fact, I know what Renegade said above, but I really can not think of one thing that WinRAR does that AlZip can't do that anyone would need - unless there is some bizarre requirement for the compression to be in RAR format.  That said, if you already have WinRAR, I can't imagine any reason you would need anything else, unless, again, there is some sort of a format requirement that WinRAR can not create.

Renegade:
@steeladept -- I think you're pretty much 100% bang on there. There are things that WinRAR will do, but how many people really need those features? I can't remember the last time I needed any of them. My #1 "advanced feature" requirement is solid compression for things like log files. Not very sophisticated.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version