topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 2:53 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Another wierd lawsuit...  (Read 3303 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Another wierd lawsuit...
« on: May 19, 2010, 10:58 AM »
Woman sues phone company for revealing affair

http://www.tgdaily.c...revealing-her-affair

A Canadian woman is suing her local phone carrier for invasion of privacy and breach of contract - because her itemized bill let her husband find out she was having an affair.

The ability to bring suit against anyone for anything is waaay out of control...  as is the idea that "my actions are not my fault- let me find someone else to blame".

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Another wierd lawsuit...
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 11:33 AM »
What a nonsense case >:( I hope she loses and has to pay out expensive legal fees, would serve her right.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 12:36 PM »
Actually she may well win since the phone company took it upon themselves to merge too accounts in different names.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 12:37 PM by Carol Haynes »

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 12:42 PM »
According to the article

Rogers says it consolidated the bills at the couple's request.

but you may be right in suggesting that is the key which the case may rest on.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 01:24 PM »
Huh. I thought for sure something like this would only happen in the USA.

This reminds me of the case where a woman sued her husband's mistress for ruining her marriage and won $500,000! Apparently the state she lives in has a law that makes it illegal for someone to cause "alienation of affection" in your marriage.

She reportedly was not seeking that large amount of money and was surprised when it was awarded.

Another thing to remember: "Though such large judgments seem like windfalls, it's not easy to collect, experts say."

I have personally been "awarded" $500 in court for stolen property, of which only $25 was collected. That's when I lost my faith in the American Court of Law.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 01:44 PM »
I have personally been "awarded" $500 in court for stolen property, of which only $25 was collected. That's when I lost my faith in the American Court of Law.

At least you've been on that side.  I lost my faith in the American Court of Law the first time I stepped into it at 16.  I proved without a doubt that there was no way that I could have been speeding, but because the officer was an officer, the judge made it stick.  I even had the officer doubting himself in the end because I was determined not to get a ticket, by having him tell me when he clocked me and when I stopped... and proving that the distance was less than 100 feet and that a civic couldn't go from 65 to zero in 100 feet on wet pavement.  And it's only gotten worse, as I've been in court 5 times, and the other person has lied in each case- blatantly.  And won.