ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Simple way to connect two computers (both XP) ?

<< < (6/9) > >>

Shades:
That was after XP SP1...at least I couldn't connect to my old, but remarkably solid Exchange server without supplying a password at the time I installed SP1.

I was in the same situation once a long time ago and could not be bothered to think twice about buying a small hub/switch for 8 USD, connecting normal network cables to it (which I already had) and manually filling in IP addresses on both systems.

techidave:
actually if you are on xp pro, you can go to gpedit.msc and tell it to allow blank passwords.  I forget exactly where it is but could look it up if need be.

tomos:
I'm learning lots but still not getting there. I'm on XP home techidave.

I set new admin accounts on each pc, both with the same password but that didnt work either...
It seemed to take a lot longer to think about it when I tried to access it but in the end the message was that it couldnt find...

At this stage I'll probably give up, and in future I'll avoid tweaking sh!t (I dont even know if tweaking is the cause of the problem, but it makes the possible causes just too much in terms of narrowing things down, and not having to spend the whole week rebooting)

Thanks again for all the help people!

brahman:
Tomos,
why don't you use Teamviewer to connect the two computers, assuming both computers have internet access (your explanations were not entirely clear to me) *or* are connected via crossover cable with IP numbers assigned.

Teamviewer allows you to do file transfer. For crossover cable connection you need to set Options>General>Incoming LAN connection to accept. Use the portable or full version.

I would also suggest you manage different network settings with NetSetMan.

Both programs free for personal use.

Deozaan:
Are both computers in the same workgroup?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version