ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Simple way to connect two computers (both XP) ?

(1/9) > >>

tomos:
I've been doing a bit of research and am totally addled by what I've read.

Is there a simple way to connect two computers ? Quick & dirty, I just want to get some files and compare some directories.
Both are with XP, both SP2 - but I do intend to update my main machine to SP3 within the next week (I could do the other one while I'm at it if it would help)

Neither have wireless & the router given by my ISP only has one whachamacallit (same as network) socket. Each PC has one network socket (so I could connect via them)
I do have a Fritzbox router (7170) which isnt in use - I guess that could be an option but again I wouldnt be sure how. Also, my ISP set up the other router so I dont have any of the details there.

As I say, preferably easy easy (pleasy :p) :)

Renegade:
If you run the network cable from the ISP router to the Fritzbox router, then run network cables to your computers, you should be good. You'll need to setup sharing though so that you can "see" the other computer and put files on it. Also, make sure to check the Windows firewall or any other firewall that you have running. Not sure if that's simple enough. Hope it helps anyways.

lanux128:
if you can find a crossover cable, then you can connect the 2 PCs directly..

• http://www.home-network-help.com/crossover.html

tomos:
thanks for the suggestions both  :up:

the direct connection sounds more complicated cause neither PC has a network card
Will try the Router route but will probably wait till after my SP3 install now,

thanks again :)

lanux128:
the direct connection sounds more complicated cause neither PC has a network card-tomos (May 19, 2010, 07:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

hmm.. you mentioned that "Each PC has one network socket" so it shouldn't be a problem..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version