ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Apple won't take cash for iPads

(1/5) > >>

wraith808:
http://www.gottabemobile.com/2010/05/18/apple-wont-take-cash-for-ipads

Note the coda at the end of the article:
Now one thing that wasn’t mentioned in the report is that Apple probably did Mrs. Campbell a big favor. She wanted to buy the iPad to surf the Internet and learn more songs to play on her guitar. In the report it’s pointed out that the iPad would be her first computer. The reporter says that the iPad is a perfect fit for Mrs. Campbell because “It’s small, mobile, perfect for her needs.” Of course she wouldn’t be able to actually fire up the iPad unless she had a PC or Mac to synch it to.

--- End quote ---

ljbirns:
Apple is not the first one I have heard of doing this, although their reasoning is different.  This from the September 11, 2009 Wall Street Journal

" Recently, when we came across a restaurant in Manhattan’s Greenwich Village that had adopted a credit-card only policy, we thought it might make for an interesting little non-law related piece for the WSJ."

"  Let’s get to that in a minute. For now, the story. Tucked at the end of one of the shortest streets in Manhattan lies a well-regarded restaurant called Commerce, which opened early last year. On Wednesday, the restaurant adopted a new policy: it would no longer accept cash. That’s right: it’s credit and debit-cards only at Commerce, which dishes out $13 cocktails and $23 plates of spaghetti carbonara, among other fare, to its mostly well-heeled clientele."

The owner claims it is safer and more convenient for his operation.  " No more armored trucks "
--- End quote ---

app103:
So, since I don't have any plastic, Steve Jobs doesn't think my money is green enough to own an iPad, but if I were to develop any apps for it, my money would suddenly be green enough for him to demand his 30% cut, in addition to all kinds of fees involved to get it into his app store.  :down:

Eóin:
Is that even legal?

ljbirns:
From the US Treasury dept Website     http://www.ustreas.gov/education/faq/currency/legal-tender.shtml

The pertinent portion of law that applies to your question is the Coinage Act of 1965, specifically Section 31 U.S.C. 5103, entitled "Legal tender," which states: "United States coins and currency (including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks) are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues."

This statute means that all United States money as identified above are a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor. There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person or an organization must accept currency or coins as for payment for goods and/or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether or not to accept cash unless there is a State law which says otherwise. For example, a bus line may prohibit payment of fares in pennies or dollar bills. In addition, movie theaters, convenience stores and gas stations may refuse to accept large denomination currency (usually notes above $20) as a matter of policy.
--- End quote ---

So  I guess it is legal

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version