ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Apple won't take cash for iPads

<< < (5/5)

wraith808:
The iPhone works the same way. The only app I knew that let you circumvent iTunes and load files directly was Stanza. The last update to Stanza removed that capability "to comply with Apple's app policies."
-40hz (May 20, 2010, 03:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

You can work with the iPhone without using iTunes- my wife never synced her phone until she needed to upgrade the OS, and she had tons of music and apps on there.  She just connected via WiFi (had to use an appstore account, but no itunes).  I also use a few apps that let you load files directly currently- they just temporarily turn the device into a webserver/ftp server.

I wonder would it be possible to jailbreak from the start, and never use itunes or an apple account at all... I know the phone is useable without an apple id, as I used it after I purchased it from best buy before I ever synced it...

40hz:
I wonder would it be possible to jailbreak from the start, and never use itunes or an apple account at all...
-wraith808 (May 20, 2010, 03:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hardly worth it IMHO.

For what you pay for the device and the account, you shouldn't have to resort to "science fair projects" to get it to do what you want. Jailbreaking serves no long-term useful function.

Apple's limitations are by design and motivated purely by a lock-in business model. (And a healthy dose of paranoia on the part of 'he who shall remain nameless.' Typical behavior on the part of somebody who never mastered any coding or technical skill and therefor decided the only role left was to put himself in charge of the real talent.)

Jailbreaking just plays into their game. Far smarter to find better devices and service providers to play with.

Just my 2ยข

---------------
Addendum:

When I was a kid, we actually did have one little twerp that always used to threaten to take his bat and ball and go home when things didn't go his way. (Doctor's kid. Richest family in the neighborhood too! His parents absolutely doted on him...)

We eventually gave up dealing with his tantrums. We all chipped in and went out and bought a couple of neighborhood-owned Wiffle Ball sets. Once we did, we banished the twerp from our games.

Apple won't take cash for iPads

I think this was the moment I became a supporter of the FOSS model - even though it would be years before FOSS came into existence.
 ;D

It also goes a good bit of the way towards explaining my endless disappointment with Apple as a company. At one point in their history, they really did have the potential and opportunity to become something truly great and change everything about computing.

That moment has long since passed them by.<*sigh*>

Stoic Joker:
Apple's limitations are by design and motivated purely by a lock-in business model. (And a healthy dose of paranoia on the part of 'he who shall remain nameless.' Typical behavior on the part of somebody who never mastered any coding or technical skill and therefor decided the only role left was to put himself in charge of the real talent.)-40hz (May 20, 2010, 03:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

While I really do try to stay quiet in these Apple threads...I just had to applaud this one!!

:Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version