ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What to use to back up 1:1 ?

<< < (7/7)

Darwin:
Isn't Seagate owned by Western Digital (or vice versa)?

app103:
Isn't Seagate owned by Western Digital (or vice versa)?
-Darwin (June 01, 2010, 07:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

No. You are thinking of Maxtor, which is now owned by Seagate.

superboyac:
You shouldn't use Seagate (I myself have had several HDD failure with Seagate HDD). try Western Digital HDD. They have different series of HDD, if I recall correctly, their YS series is very durable. I have 3 units of 500G WD HDD being used for years on daily basic and never give me a single problem.-tslim (June 01, 2010, 03:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

i too have heard vendors recommending Western Digital over Seagate and i'm curious why this is so?
-lanux128 (June 01, 2010, 03:53 AM)
--- End quote ---
You know, it doesn't really matter.  Everyone is going to have a different story.  Some are going to say their WD drive broke, some say their Seagate drive broke, etc.  I don't care anymore.  There's is exactly one thing I look for in a hard drive, and that's the warranty.  I'll get whichever drive has the longest warranty.  It used to be Seagate with the 5 year warranty, but they don't have that anymore.  The latest batch of drives I got were WD Caviar Black, because only the Black ones came with 5 year warranties. 

Shades:
My experience is that WD drives are the better ones. Or they break immediately (first days of use) and are replaced with a new unit by the vendor. Other brands happen to break outside their guarantee period.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version