topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 8:34 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: What to use to back up 1:1 ?  (Read 16526 times)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: What to use to back up 1:1 ?
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2010, 01:11 PM »
SFFS on the other hand, is heavy duty in the sense you can set up a job with almost any imaginable variation possible. Really it's a backup programme, with everything you would expect from a backup prog (& more)

Have a look at their features page (there are two versions, only thing I'd miss in the basic version would be partial file updating - check the purchase page for differences)

I should add that the standard version of Super Flexible File Synchronizer doesnt support zip compression,
nor:

* FTP/SSH/WebDAV/S3 and ZIP compression support,
    * Real-Time Synchronization (folder monitoring),
    * Running the scheduler as a service,
    * Copying file permissions and file shares,
    * Creating new network connections and monitoring resources,
    * Running profiles in parallel or under a different user account,
    * Partial updating of large files.
Tom

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2010, 05:50 PM »
-now you should also add that the PRO price 'merely' is $41.90 for DC members:  

https://www.donation...09.msg60472#msg60472

-yes, it is dated "07 May 2007", but the discount code is still working!! :-*

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2010, 09:46 PM »
Curt, you may want to look at some file managers like Total Commander, et al. as some of them have file synchronizers built in to them that rival some of the pro stand-alone software for a cheaper price for more features.

tslim

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2010, 03:21 AM »
-------------------
-----EXCERPT-----
I started Windows and everything was fine (it takes a little longer to boot while the SATA adpater does something).  I formatted the drive with NTFS using Windows default administration tools.  I set up DirSync to transfer the information over and after double-checking several times, I started the process.  It took a while (a few hours?) but when it was done, it was all very good.  I checked to see if the data was properly backed up and everything.  I was happy, and took a couple of hours off for good behavior.  I came back to the computer to do some other stuff, was browsing the internet, and, BAM, everything freezes on the screen.  I couldn't do anything, I couldn't even reboot or type, move the mouse...nothing.  I thought, "No big deal, the computer just crashed."  When I restarted, the BIOS would not recognize my old Seagate 300 GB storage drive.  It was gone.  That was a disaster.  I was so freaked out and devastated that I had to go on my bed and just lie down for a minute.  You see, I had forgotten that I had just backed up all the data only hours before!  It took me a few minutes to remember that fact, but when I did, I was relieved a little.  However, now, I was on pins and needles because my data was still only in one location on the new Seagate.  Just to be safe, I pulled the drive out and was not intending to use it again until I receive the replacement drive from Seagate.  THAT'S WHY YOU WANT THE 5-YEAR WARRANTY; THAT OLD DRIVE WAS COVERED UNTIL 2010!
You shouldn't use Seagate (I myself have had several HDD failure with Seagate HDD). try Western Digital HDD. They have different series of HDD, if I recall correctly, their YS series is very durable. I have 3 units of 500G WD HDD being used for years on daily basic and never give me a single problem.

Seagate = Poison :down:

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2010, 03:53 AM »
You shouldn't use Seagate (I myself have had several HDD failure with Seagate HDD). try Western Digital HDD. They have different series of HDD, if I recall correctly, their YS series is very durable. I have 3 units of 500G WD HDD being used for years on daily basic and never give me a single problem.

i too have heard vendors recommending Western Digital over Seagate and i'm curious why this is so?

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2010, 07:39 AM »
Isn't Seagate owned by Western Digital (or vice versa)?

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2010, 07:40 AM »
Isn't Seagate owned by Western Digital (or vice versa)?

No. You are thinking of Maxtor, which is now owned by Seagate.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2010, 09:01 AM »

i too have heard vendors recommending Western Digital over Seagate and i'm curious why this is so?
You know, it doesn't really matter.  Everyone is going to have a different story.  Some are going to say their WD drive broke, some say their Seagate drive broke, etc.  I don't care anymore.  There's is exactly one thing I look for in a hard drive, and that's the warranty.  I'll get whichever drive has the longest warranty.  It used to be Seagate with the 5 year warranty, but they don't have that anymore.  The latest batch of drives I got were WD Caviar Black, because only the Black ones came with 5 year warranties. 

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2010, 07:34 PM »
My experience is that WD drives are the better ones. Or they break immediately (first days of use) and are replaced with a new unit by the vendor. Other brands happen to break outside their guarantee period.