ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Quick AVI Creator

<< < (3/4) > >>

MilesAhead:

btw there's also a Doom10 now. Let me know if Doom11 rolls out next week. ;)
-sajman99 (May 22, 2010, 06:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

What did that guy keep saying on The Sopranos?  "I thought I was out... but they pulled me back in."  Buy divx player and WD player.. thought I'm nearly done with conversions.  Now this stuff that takes 5 times longer to process.  Oh dear, oh me, oh my. :)

MilesAhead:
I did a run to reduce an .mkv and the results were promising.  This program may be a good alternative to Handbrake.  Only thing that threw me a bit was there's an option in x264 to set "zones" that's typically used to encode credits with less quality etc..  There's an edit to put in the starting frame of the end credits. I got a reply back from the author, the way to disable it is to put the last frame of the video as the number. He says you can use preview mode if you want to get the frame number to use the feature.

Eventually I'll get it right.  But the one pass completed without crashing. I have to do another run with another video to see if it's really stable.

The author seems amenable to answering questions.  You can check out his thread on videohelp:

http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/289721-Quick-AVI-Creator

sajman99:
MilesAhead, looks like you're the first person to "discover" this neat front-end QAC. Nobody had commented for two years before you asked a question. :o Hard to believe but I guess the bunches of these conversion tools make some get lost in the pack.

Nice to see the author is responsive. Having full control of the generated Avisynth script is a definite +.

MilesAhead:
Yeah, it is weird.  I'm on another board, Digital Video Forums, and after I found this on VideoHelp, come to find out there was an entry in DVF a couple years old.  I have to start checking that list. It's not so obvious where the link is.

Seems like every time I "find" something, it's already in there.  Only thing is many of the tutorials haven't been updated in awhile.  The board is nearly dormant these days:

http://forum.digital-digest.com/

edit: seems like the processing time is about the same if I downsize to DVD with HC 2 pass, or encode to .mkv with this using 1 pass.  The only thing is the DVD has the advantage I can play it on both the SDTV and HDTV.

MilesAhead:
I did a run using x264.  Looks like the wave of the future but it takes a lot of horses.  On my dual core it ran 10 hours to encode a 90 minute video using x264 one pass mode.

But I do think for my machines this app is great for doing xvid one pass conversions.  I can convert to HD .avi or just add one line to the .avs script to size down to standard 720,480.

The .avi HD does look good.  But the x264 is definitely glossier looking.  If you have OctoCore PC then I recommend using this for x264.

The other good news is so far I haven't had a crash using this app.  Seems very stable.  The main thing I find disconcerting is once the video encoding starts, you really get no feedback how much longer the processing will take.

XVID4PSP seems better on that score.  Quick AVI Creator seems better for a newbie to get going.  The settings aren't as complicated.  You can start producing good output without a ton of reading.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version