ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Quick AVI Creator

(1/4) > >>

MilesAhead:
I just started messing around with this little freeware, Quick AVI Creator.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Quick_AVI_Creator

I haven't really explored the x264 side of it yet.  But for downsizing HD content to play on a stand-alone divx DVD player using xvid, it seems ideal.

After experimenting with the settings file, xvid.presets, I found I could add a One Pass Mode just by adding a section in brackets like an .ini file.  I copied the 2nd line from the 2 pass mode and just took out the stuff about stats and passes.  I've only tried one .wmv file but it processed it in both 2 pass and 1 pass mode without choking.

Even with resizing down to 720x480 it processed the video in One Pass Mode faster than real time on my quad core.  Looks like a nice little program.  It uses AvsP and generates an AviSynth script with the basic stuff for you to modify.

MilesAhead:
Since my first post I've converted a few more .wmv HD to standard .avi using xvid codec without an issue.  A handy tool if you don't mind doing the files one at a time.  afaik there's no provision for batch mode.  But the nice thing is it fills in the stuff you absolutely need in the .avs script such as color space conversion, and leaves it to you to add filters. It seems to have at least built in .srt subtitle support but I haven't tried any subs with it yet.

sajman99:
Thanks for sharing, MilesAhead. :)  I agree this looks like a nicely integrated package. The ability to fine tune the output sounds good, but I've never used AvsP before--hope the learning curve isn't too steep.

btw this is an interesting time for video encoding. Did you see this major announcement?  http://x264dev.multimedia.cx/?p=328

Thanks to tireless work by Kieran Kunyha, Alex Giladi, Lamont Alston, and the Doom9 crowd, x264 can now produce Blu-ray-compliant video.  Extra special thanks to The Criterion Collection for sponsoring the final compliance test to confirm x264’s Blu-ray compliance.

With x264’s powerful compression, as demonstrated by the incredibly popular BD-Rebuilder Blu-ray backup software, it’s quite possible to author Blu-ray disks on DVD9s (dual-layer DVDs) or even DVD5s (single-layer DVDs) with a reasonable level of quality.  With a free software encoder and less need for an expensive Blu-ray burner, we are one step closer to putting HD optical media creation in the hands of the everyday user.

--- End quote ---

Not sure of all the implications of this, :o but it sounds like a game-changer to me.

MilesAhead:
It is interesting because I recently went to divx.com because I couldn't get anything to play in my software divx player.  Figured I'd download a new version.  All the new players and codecs they are pushing, calling it "Divx Plus," is .mkv format!!  I probably made a mistake using AviAddXSubs to add subs to a lot of my .avi videos, tossing away the sub sources.  I don't think the new format is going to give a damn about embedded XSubs.  I hope I can find .srt to download when I need 'em. :(

Here's hoping my divx stand-alones keep on keepin' on for a few more years. :)

Deozaan:
Thanks to tireless work by Kieran Kunyha, Alex Giladi, Lamont Alston, and the Doom9 crowd, x264 can now produce Blu-ray-compliant video.  Extra special thanks to The Criterion Collection for sponsoring the final compliance test to confirm x264’s Blu-ray compliance.

With x264’s powerful compression, as demonstrated by the incredibly popular BD-Rebuilder Blu-ray backup software, it’s quite possible to author Blu-ray disks on DVD9s (dual-layer DVDs) or even DVD5s (single-layer DVDs) with a reasonable level of quality.  With a free software encoder and less need for an expensive Blu-ray burner, we are one step closer to putting HD optical media creation in the hands of the everyday user.

--- End quote ---

Not sure of all the implications of this, :o but it sounds like a game-changer to me.
-sajman99 (May 21, 2010, 01:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

Am I understanding that correctly? You can put a DVD5 or DVD9 in a Blu-Ray player and it will play with near-Blu-Ray quality video?

Sounds similar to what people did about 10 years ago, putting DVD-format movies on multiple VCDs to play them in their DVD player when writable DVDs and DVD burners were still on the expensive side.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version