ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Google Search

<< < (2/4) > >>

Eóin:
If they already have a large database of searches indexed, why can't they just search all results of the case insensitive index for the matching case sensitive search?-Deozaan (May 18, 2010, 12:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

If they designed for case-insensitive searches from the start then almost certainly they'd have done something like lowercase everything before it goes into the index as well as lowercase each search prior to checking the index.

It's very possibly that they can't offer a case sensitive search because there simply are no uppercase letters anywhere in their index.

Deozaan:
It's very possibly that they can't offer a case sensitive search because there simply are no uppercase letters anywhere in their index.
-Eóin (May 18, 2010, 08:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for explaining that. Now it makes sense.

Yet it still seems to me like there would be a relatively simple way to filter the results after they've been loaded in the browser since it does show uppercase letters in the search results I get.

daddydave:
You can do a Case Sensitive Google Search here. It's kind of surprising to me as well that Google doesn't offer it, since Altavista used to have a case sensitive search back in the Netscape 2 / Windows 3.1 / Trumpet Winsock era. I think regular expression searches were common back then even. Of course the web was smaller then, but still--

Eóin:
Interesting daddydave, a search for LaTeX indeed did not have any material or fetish related results. No sign of StarED though, are you sure it existed online at some point Deozaan?

steeladept:
Or even EDSTAR @ www . edstar . org?

Just a thought....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version