ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

[HELP REQUEST] Please quickly review my new Twitter client

<< < (3/7) > >>

nite_monkey:
I tried it out, and for the most part it works pretty well. I don't really understand how the bit.ly button works tho. I copied a link from my browser to the clipboard and hit the button, and nothing happened.
-nite_monkey (May 16, 2010, 10:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ah... I think I know what you did. You copied a link from inside of a web page, right? I didn't put in any Rich Text clipboard functionality there, so only pure text will work.

I then tried pasting the long url into the client, and then pushing the button to see if it would maybe convert it to a bit.ly url, that worked one time, and then the button stopped working. Eventually tho when I clicked the button, a box popped up and told me to type in an url to shorten, but now I can't get that box to pop back up. Now all the button does is just re paste the last url I shortened.
-nite_monkey (May 16, 2010, 10:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think I know what's going on there for you. Here's a quick explanation of how the button works (I'll need to add some help in the program there as well):

It only works for text URLs on your clipboard. e.g. If you copy this URL, it won't work, but if you copy this https://www.donationcoder.com/, it will work (text, not rich text). (Looks like that'll be a feature request -- to support Rich Text clipboard operations.)

So,

1) Copy a text URL, like from the address bar of the browser (put a URL on your clipboard)
2) Click the Bit.Ly button (inserts the text URL from your clipboard, or pops up a dialog asking for a URL to shorten)

If I've misunderstood what you were telling me there, please let me know.
-Renegade (May 16, 2010, 11:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

I copied the link from my opera's address bar.
I may not have been doing something right. I'm going to play with it some more and see if I can get the hang of it

edit:Yup, I'm stupid. After further messing around, I have figured it out. The bit.ly button makes perfect sense now. :Thmbsup:

Veign:
Very cool.  Will have to give this a try later.

Renegade:
edit:Yup, I'm stupid. After further messing around, I have figured it out. The bit.ly button makes perfect sense now. :Thmbsup:
-nite_monkey (May 17, 2010, 01:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well, it's not like it comes with a lot of directions... I didn't put in that functionality before. (See below though. :) )

Anyways, I've updated it now to reflect some of what you and lanux128 were talking about.

Here's the new Bit.Ly button behaviour:

1) You click it...
2) It looks for a link stored on your clipboard and inserts the shortened version at the caret
3) If it doesn't find one, it asks you to enter one into a dialog box
4) You either enter a URL, or cancel -- entered is like #2
5) *** If you DO NOT enter a URL there, it will search for a non-BitLy URL in the Tweet box -- you are prompted for YES/NO if a URL is found there

So, in short
1) Shorten clipboard
2) Prompt if none on clipboard
3) Prompt to shorten if any long URL in Tweet box. (only the first)

HOWEVER!!!!

I put in a significant improvement there that I think will help out DEPENDING ON YOUR BROWSER...

Copy > FROM HERE to way over HERE < and then enter that.

If that doesn't work, then:

Copy FROM HERE >to way over< HERE and then enter that.

Now, depending on your browser, either 1, or both, or none of those will work. The different is in selecting more than just the link, or selecting only the link.

IE is the best. Firefox comes in next. Safari (surprisingly) works well, then Chrome. Opera is dead last as it only copies pure text, and not HTML.

There's nothing that I can do to get things working for Opera. Ever.

So, that should address the kind of problem that you were having before, or at least I hope so. Let me know if it does/doesn't.

One thing I should mention -- I'm not sure about how that all pans out and whether or not I should simply get rid of the RETRY/CANCEL prompt as it really doesn't add much. Any advice?

Cheers,

Ryan

lanux128:
One thing I should mention -- I'm not sure about how that all pans out and whether or not I should simply get rid of the RETRY/CANCEL prompt as it really doesn't add much. Any advice? -Renegade (May 17, 2010, 07:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

hmm.. i haven't seen the retry prompt yet, so i can't say if that annoys me or not.. however i'd like to request that the text be shaded in another color if the tweet was successfully sent. right now there is a message in the status bar but i can't recall if since then i had typed another message but haven't sent yet (i'm getting old, i know). :)

Renegade:
One thing I should mention -- I'm not sure about how that all pans out and whether or not I should simply get rid of the RETRY/CANCEL prompt as it really doesn't add much. Any advice? -Renegade (May 17, 2010, 07:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

hmm.. i haven't seen the retry prompt yet, so i can't say if that annoys me or not.. however i'd like to request that the text be shaded in another color if the tweet was successfully sent. right now there is a message in the status bar but i can't recall if since then i had typed another message but haven't sent yet (i'm getting old, i know). :)
-lanux128 (May 17, 2010, 10:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

Good idea. I'd thought about that problem, but wasn't really certain how to solve it, so I figured I'd leave it and wait for the wisdom from the DC forums to shine some light on it~! :D

-- Break for work...
-- Done. A bit dark, but definitely obvious (I'm not a designer, so not really fantastic color changes there). Reverts to normal on any change to the tweet box text.

Still other things TODO from the tweets you made though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version