ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

[HELP REQUEST] Please quickly review my new Twitter client

<< < (2/7) > >>

lanux128:
lol, i just installed the msi installer. first impressions, looks spiffy and works as exactly as it said. that's good and the permission notice was nice. i'll also opt-in for the "echo" tweets option, so that it helps while testing this client.

btw thanks to this client, my computer has the updated version of dotnet framework (version 4). a hint would have been nice, though.. :)

lanux128 is off to try RC2 as well.

nite_monkey:
I tried it out, and for the most part it works pretty well. I don't really understand how the bit.ly button works tho. I copied a link from my browser to the clipboard and hit the button, and nothing happened. I then tried pasting the long url into the client, and then pushing the button to see if it would maybe convert it to a bit.ly url, that worked one time, and then the button stopped working. Eventually tho when I clicked the button, a box popped up and told me to type in an url to shorten, but now I can't get that box to pop back up. Now all the button does is just re paste the last url I shortened. So if you could give a quick tutorial on how to use the bit.ly button, that would be great. Though, over all it is a pretty good post only twitter client.

lanux128:
ok, just tried out the stand-alone version. i noticed that the check-mark for "echo" is off in the tray menu when starting, though the echo itself works. also tweeted some suggestions. :)

@nite_monkey: the bit.ly shortener works here. this is how i did it, i copied the url, then pressed the 'Bit.ly' button and the shortened url is inserted at the caret's position. in your case, maybe the url has a space in front or at the end?

Renegade:
lol, i just installed the msi installer. first impressions, looks spiffy and works as exactly as it said. that's good and the permission notice was nice. i'll also opt-in for the "echo" tweets option, so that it helps while testing this client.

btw thanks to this client, my computer has the updated version of dotnet framework (version 4). a hint would have been nice, though.. :)
 (see attachment in previous post)
lanux128 is off to try RC2 as well.
-lanux128 (May 16, 2010, 10:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

:-[ Yeah, I guess I should have put the .NET 4 requirements down there. (It could be done in .NET 3, but I kind of wanted to play around a bit and just have a look at .NET 4.)

Thanks for opting in there. Not too sure about that feature yet. Tell me if you like it after you've tried it out a bit.

I tried it out, and for the most part it works pretty well. I don't really understand how the bit.ly button works tho. I copied a link from my browser to the clipboard and hit the button, and nothing happened.
-nite_monkey (May 16, 2010, 10:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ah... I think I know what you did. You copied a link from inside of a web page, right? I didn't put in any Rich Text clipboard functionality there, so only pure text will work.

I then tried pasting the long url into the client, and then pushing the button to see if it would maybe convert it to a bit.ly url, that worked one time, and then the button stopped working. Eventually tho when I clicked the button, a box popped up and told me to type in an url to shorten, but now I can't get that box to pop back up. Now all the button does is just re paste the last url I shortened.
--- End quote ---

I think I know what's going on there for you. Here's a quick explanation of how the button works (I'll need to add some help in the program there as well):

It only works for text URLs on your clipboard. e.g. If you copy this URL, it won't work, but if you copy this https://www.donationcoder.com/, it will work (text, not rich text). (Looks like that'll be a feature request -- to support Rich Text clipboard operations.)

So,

1) Copy a text URL, like from the address bar of the browser (put a URL on your clipboard)
2) Click the Bit.Ly button (inserts the text URL from your clipboard, or pops up a dialog asking for a URL to shorten)

If I've misunderstood what you were telling me there, please let me know.

So if you could give a quick tutorial on how to use the bit.ly button, that would be great. Though, over all it is a pretty good post only twitter client.
--- End quote ---

Every Twitter client I saw just had a massive interface that took up way too much screen real estate. All I wanted to do was to tweet (well, and a couple other things, but that's another story) easily.

I'll get back to seeing if I can clean up interaction with the Bit.Ly button though.

AFTER: Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

ok, just tried out the stand-alone version. i noticed that the check-mark for "echo" is off in the tray menu when starting, though the echo itself works. also tweeted some suggestions. :)

@nite_monkey: the bit.ly shortener works here. this is how i did it, i copied the url, then pressed the 'Bit.ly' button and the shortened url is inserted at the caret's position. in your case, maybe the url has a space in front or at the end?
-lanux128 (May 16, 2010, 10:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ah... I'll double check on the echo there. I meant for it to be 'opt-in', so it should be OFF when you first use it. Is that what you meant? The stand-alone and the installed versions do not share the same settings, so setting one will not change the other.

Saw the tweets there too! :) I'll be getting on to those. I figured things like remembering positions I'd do later unless someone here noticed (which you did) and spoke up.

Regarding:

...in your case, maybe the url has a space in front or at the end?
--- End quote ---

I'll check and clean that up.

lanux128:
--- End quote ---

Ah... I'll double check on the echo there. I meant for it to be 'opt-in', so it should be OFF when you first use it. Is that what you meant? The stand-alone and the installed versions do not share the same settings, so setting one will not change the other.-Renegade (May 16, 2010, 11:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

hmm.. that seems the case. i must have confused with the two versions. no wonder the standalone version asked for permission once again. sorry about that.. ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version