Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site July 30, 2014, 02:26:38 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2011! Download 30+ custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Compare 2 files and list differences...  (Read 4810 times)
3eighty
Participant

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: May 15, 2010, 05:57:49 PM »

I need a program that would take 2 folders (say A&B) and compare everything in them...Then list what file "A" has that "B" doesn't have
and vice-verse...If all is the same just say...No Diff.???  Something like that...

Thank You>>>>>>
ewemoa
Honorary Member

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 06:43:48 PM »

WinMerge?
daddydave
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 07:11:38 PM »

Take a look at CSDiff. I found it pretty unique among freeware in that you can compare folders, then drill down to compare files. Also instead of showing the files side by side, you can choose to show it as the old file marked up, in a style similar to Microsoft Word, to show the changes required to create the new file.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 07:15:45 PM by daddydave » Logged
lanux128
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 09:13:08 PM »

most file-managers would have this covered but for a single-purpose tool, i second ewemoa's suggestion.

btw, mouser did a comprehensive review for compare tools some time back. do take a look.

3eighty
Participant

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 11:11:15 PM »

Thanks for the quick answer folks..I'll check them all out...
Innuendo
Charter Member

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 11:23:30 PM »

Total Commander will do this if you are looking for a general purpose tool that does this.

Beyond Compare will also do this if you are looking for a single purpose tool that does this.

(Oddly enough, they are both roughly the same price, although TC has free lifetime updates & BC doesn't.)
rjbull
Charter Member

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 10:14:03 AM »

+1 for Total Commander.  I also have a license for ExamDiff Pro; I personally only used it for file differences, but it will compare and synchronize directores as well.
cranioscopical
Friend of the Site
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 11:15:05 AM »

+1 for Beyond Compare

Chris
liuxin4335
Participant

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 05:12:29 AM »

Compare++ is good. The folder comparison is so fast.
w

I am sales representative of Compare++, any question, you can ask me. Thanks a lot.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 06:31:02 PM by liuxin4335 » Logged
cyberdiva
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 07:45:21 AM »

I might just point out that the above poster, liuxin4335, has just joined the forum and has posted four messages, all promoting Compare++.  I don't know whether this person has a connection to the software, but he has gone to the trouble of finding some old threads just to push this app.
lanux128
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2010, 08:02:58 AM »

I might just point out that the above poster, liuxin4335, has just joined the forum and has posted four messages, all promoting Compare++.  I don't know whether this person has a connection to the software, but he has gone to the trouble of finding some old threads just to push this app.

i too posed the question to him here.

lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2010, 06:51:11 PM »

@liuxin4335: thanks for clarifying your position.

daddydave
Supporting Member

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 04:43:08 PM »

I just grabbed this screenshot off the CSDiff web site.
I really like the friendly view file comparison, this is what I was calling "Microsoft Word" tracking style (although Microsoft probably didn't invent it).

CSDiff has not been updated since 2005, however, so I'd like to reconsider what's out there. Do any of the others above have this feature?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.039s | Server load: 0.03 ]