ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

It's official: Steam is coming to Linux

<< < (3/3)

zridling:
Thank you, Lashiec. You just made the world a better place.

Edvard:
@40Hz:
Here's just one example of what I have been hearing:
http://www.technewsworld.com/story/70007.html?wlc=1274149073&wlc=1274211458
"AWESOME," wrote CasualFriday, for example. "If CS:S and HL2 run well in Ubuntu, I now have no reason to keep my Windows partition."
--- End quote ---
That answer your question?

Quite an exuberant article, by the way, and the DirectX vs. OpenGL is a valid one.
DirectX has consistently improved, pretty much making the gaming experience what it is today.

There are a couple factors that may mitigate matters, however:
1- The original intent was to port games to the MacOS, which also relies on OpenGL.
Any game software company that cares AT ALL about getting on the Mac platform WILL make the effort to port to OpenGL, which paves the way for Linux porting as well.
2- nVidia has all but adopted OpenGL as it's pet project, heading up much of the development and greatly extending the OpenGL 3.0 spec, with full support in all it's drivers since around late 2008.
nVidia is not a 2nd-rate player in this game, so OpenGL should no longer be the 'also-ran' it once was.

So now we wait...

Deozaan:
I think the bigger consequence will be all the Linux-savvy Windows users itching to jump ship...
-Edvard (May 15, 2010, 02:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

Just out of curiosity - do you see many such people where you are?-40hz (May 15, 2010, 12:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't know if I'm ready to jump ship as soon as all my games work in linux, but each time a new version of Ubuntu is released I test it out and quickly realize I'm never going to use it (regularly) because all my games are stuck in Windows and it's a bit of a pain to reboot into another OS just to play a game. If there comes a point in time when all the PC games I currently play (and all future PC games I might want to play) work just as well on Linux as they do on Windows, then my chances of making the jump would be extremely high, especially when faced with the upgrade cost of the new version of Windows at that time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version