ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

how to get to a dialog window that won't come into focus by using the keyboard?

<< < (4/8) > >>

nudone:
i put the quote marks in as i just thought as the string had spaces in it (in File[space]has[space]changed) that's how ahk would work. i didn't realise it was clever enough to just take the whole string as it is - and i didn't understand what the partial match thing was doing. i definitely didn't expect it to match single words.

which all explains why my own ahk scripts tend not to work.

cranioscopical:
a dialog window that won't come into focus
--- End quote ---
Actual Window Manager www.ActualTools.com is pretty good at this stuff.
I was using Ultramon 3 and a bunch of home-made macros for stuff like this but found AWM suited me a bit better.

nudone:
thanks. i've looked at Actual Window Manager a long time back - i might find it more useful this time around. i'll investigate and then say how i get on...

nudone:
hmm, haven't tested Actual Window Manager yet (can't until tomorrow); just reading what it can do - it looks like it would instantly replace several programs i have constantly running.

looks pretty good to me.

nudone:
i've been running Actual Window Manager (AWM) for a while now and it could almost be described as a "super" tool. i say almost as it has not managed to replace 100% of the small apps i was hoping for - but it's still impressive.

so far, i've turned off these system tray running utils, as AWM replaces many of their functions:

1. DialogMove - my can't live without app (that jgpaiva was kind enough to make for me).

2. Taskbar Shuffle - drag taskbar items about.

3. WindowSpace - like win7 aero snap (i'm on vista).

4. UltraMon - multi-monitor support taskbars, etc.

5. AutoHotKey scripts that were needed to control specific program windows and dialogs boxes.

AWM has the ability to display the Alt+tab box on every screen on a multi-monitor setup. BUT, as it only replicates the default appearance of the alt+tab box it looks absolutely awful (does anyone on this planet think the Aero alt+tab is usable). i was hoping for a little more in this area and then i could have replaced the otherwise excellent VistaSwitcher - which is the best alt+tab replacement i've seen (you can make it very minimal) but it doesn't display on all monitors simultaneously.

(i've just been searching for a solution to the alt+tab situation.)
i've found that you can re-enable the old alt+tab in win7 by unchecking "Enable Aero Peek" in the Performance settings of System Properties (not tried it myself).

AND, in Vista use this in your registry to get the good old basic alt+tab back again.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer]
"AltTabSettings"=dword:00000001

so, at the moment, i'm undecided what i'll be keeping.

Ultramon has better methods of sending windows to adjacent screens. but AWM has far better options for each taskbar on each screen

VistaSwitcher still looks the best (and has more options for alt+tabbing on multi-monitors in many ways).

WindowSpace might have more options for snapping windows around the screen, not sure yet.

DialogMove works more automatically at controlling small windows - but maybe AWM has more power in this area that i need to look into.

Actual Window Manager can do a lot of the functions i use AutoHotKey for - but nothing will completely replace AHK, it's just less convenient to use for a novice like me.

i was trying not to, but it might just be that Actual Window Manager will be running alongside all of the above tools (except for Taskbar Shuffle). the battle for supremacy begins...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version