ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

A unified FARR / Launcher Interface Proposal

<< < (5/11) > >>

mouser:
i think we need to have a good conversation on the concept of "actions" and the various "workflow" cases, ie. what is the best way to do the different tasks.  but it really belongs in that other thread where we were discussing it before.  let's leave this thread for the launchbar merge idea.

kfitting:
Hey mouser, sounds good, but another issue that is becoming critical is the user configuration GUI.  Right now it is starting to get cumbersome.  Adding all these options (great ones, mind!) will make it unwieldy.  My suggestion is to go to a left hand tree structure with tabs across the top.  But, regardless of the final outcome, this will need to be dealt with soon.

Kevin

mouser:
funny you should mention that but the entire new interface ive been working on for context menu commander and launch bar commander is all about tree based configuration, so we're on the same page.

hamradio:
Not to get off topic...but...

congratulations on your 100th post.  i wonder if we should have prizes of some sort..-mouser (February 02, 2006, 07:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

Mouser, belated congratulations on your 5000th post too!

nontroppo:
This may have been mentioned already (I may not have understood something somewhere!) but could you make the folder structure of the toolbar autopopulate?  -kfitting (February 02, 2006, 09:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

I had made a recommendation to the UI designers of Opera to do something similar, and called it sticky searches (opera has a dynamic find in mosts parts of its UI): http://nontroppo.org/test/Op7/VirtualFolders.png

This has lots of parallels to FARR, in that Opera uses dynamic searches, and thus a saved "search" is a dynamic view into the dataset, storing it makes a really cool updating link. In terms of implementation, basically I believe in our groups, individual items can have properties, and one of them is that it activates FARRS search on a pattern and presents a result.

in fact, the launchbar configuration gui, which i have spent a couple weeks on and which i am EXTREMELY proud of, is fully working and seems to me might be well suited for the new farr configuration system which i have been dithering about.-mouser (February 02, 2006, 09:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

Do you have a screenshot?

it does mean you should prepare for a totally different configuration experience for farr2.  hopefully you'll agree it's a better one.-mouser (February 02, 2006, 09:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

no problem for me ;)

i mean in a sense if you look at the toolbar in farr now, its a launch bar already.  i mean that is already what we are talking about, it's just a tiny little one.  so this idea is really more of following that through and making the launchbar more robust, and also giving user the ability to dock it on the screen for permanent viewing if desired..

we still have to figure out this issue with quicksilver style choosing of actions on files that im still unsure of how to handle best.-mouser (February 02, 2006, 09:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

See my mockup in the other thread :devil:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version