ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

A unified FARR / Launcher Interface Proposal

<< < (3/11) > >>

nontroppo:
If you want a launcher (something that is as good or better than RocketDock, for instance), you need to be able to access it without using the keyboard. Otherwise, what would be the point? You'd first need to access the keyboard and then use the mouse to select the button that you want...-Amadawn (February 01, 2006, 08:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes exactly. My only point is that it is not so hard to keep both keyboard-centric (of which I am one) and mouse-centric users happy.

I think that things like the already discussed frequency sorting, QuickSilver-like program controls, task management, control panel indexing and search optimization should be addressed first, in my opinion.-Amadawn (February 01, 2006, 08:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

I also agree with you! In the thread on launchbars, I made my position clear in that for my personal needs they are superfluous. But I respect that other people find them useful. FARR has been patiently waiting for a number of discussed features that will really enhance it, IMO more than an launch sub-menu. However, if mouser is going to invest time and energy in something, I simply rather he didn't duplicate his hard (& precious) work, and working on FARR in whatever endeavour keeps it alive. There is clear overlap in the stated aims of both programs (as Allen eloquently expresses), and having such a flexible and adaptive interface can only be a good thing.

Then i though: if this bar would have support for taskbar support (like yzdock has, similar to mac osx's dock, i think), farr would allow me to remove the taskbar and use only farr, in a much more intuitive way than the taskbar works!-jgpaiva (February 02, 2006, 03:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well, one of my wishlist items for V2 is task control, but that is from a keyboard centric perspective (adaptive search through running apps). There is lots of existing code (Litestep, BBLean etc) out there for this sort of thing that mouser could use, though for me it then skirts too close to becoming an explorer replacement for my liking.

ps: nontroppo, that skin is beautifull!  :tellme: :tellme:-jgpaiva (February 02, 2006, 03:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sadly, the current skin engine does not support alpha-transparency and so I cannot make such a skin for FARR yet. It is something mouser maybe able to do something about, and hopefully the skin module mouser uses may one day be updated to support it. The icons are from the obscenely talented David Lanham, and are called puft (also check out his desktops and other artwork).

jgpaiva:
Well, one of my wishlist items for V2 is task control, but that is from a keyboard centric perspective (adaptive search through running apps). There is lots of existing code (Litestep, BBLean etc) out there for this sort of thing that mouser could use, though for me it then skirts too close to becoming an explorer replacement for my liking.-nontroppo (February 02, 2006, 04:49 AM)
--- End quote ---
I know that this was one of the things to be implemented (i think associated with the quicksilver-like interface, right?), that's one of the reasons i think this would not be hard to add to the toolbar. But as i said, this is only a dream ;)
As for being an explorer replacement... It wouldn't be, the main shell would still be explorer, only without taskbar.
(i just hate not having the possibility of inconizing tasks in the taskbar, the titles take too much space :P)

Sadly, the current skin engine does not support alpha-transparency and so I cannot make such a skin for FARR yet. -nontroppo (February 02, 2006, 04:49 AM)
--- End quote ---
Actually, i don't think that's bad..We don't want farr to be slower, right? ;)
But i like the design proposition you presented for farr v2, very smooth :D

mouser:
holy cow this thread has turned amazing.

look at jpaiva's avatar, haahahahah!!!! :)
and that david lanham art is outstanding.

i really like the idea that the groups be displays as tool menus in that farr menubar - it seems to me that sometimes you want to locate by name, and sometimes you like to browse visually, so it's a nice idea.  not sure exactly how to handle the case of groups where there are regular expressions involved..

jgpaiva:
i really like the idea that the groups be displays as tool menus in that farr menubar - it seems to me that sometimes you want to locate by name, and sometimes you like to browse visually, so it's a nice idea.  not sure exactly how to handle the case of groups where there are regular expressions involved..
-mouser (February 02, 2006, 06:31 AM)
--- End quote ---
I agree with your statement about "recall vs. recognition" and yesterday, i found that i have my computer full of interesting apps that i never use because i tend to forget them. At the very least, the toolbar could remember me to delete them! ;)
But i didn't get what is the problem you mentioned... Can't the launchbar be integrated with farr? What's the problem with reg-ex?

-mouser (February 02, 2006, 06:31 AM)
--- End quote ---
I just thought i should be supporting the "Egiptian guy running", so as his great app can get even more attention :D :D

[offtopic] PS: i forgot to mention in my earlier post, David Lanham's site has very good artwork, not only good-looking icons, but also well-made backgrounds (and in widescreen, just as i need them! :D:D) [/offtopic]

I just noticed this post is my 100th post on DonationCoder! I'm one happy, proud member! :D :D
(please congratulate me  :tellme: :tellme:)

mouser:
congratulations on your 100th post.  i wonder if we should have prizes of some sort..

what i mean about the regex is:
some alias groups are used to do things like open an email to a user, or search website for some string.

now if you put that on a menu, what exactly are you saying..
the closest thing you could do is maybe when they select that item it pops up an input box where they can type what string to use in that command.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version