ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

A unified FARR / Launcher Interface Proposal

(1/11) > >>

nontroppo:
Dear All,

Mouser has suggested making a DC Launchbar app in another thread. I actually believe a seperate application is more trouble than it's worth; FARR can do that job really easily. The two apps overlap somewhat, and unification has many benefits.

My proposal is to integrate virtual groups, based on shortcuts dragged-n-dropped into a menu editor that would be part of FARR. FARR will be dockable and allow buttons to be bound to those groups and displayed on its interface. That gets you a launchbar. FARR will also be able to adaptively search as usual, including in such groups, thus leveraging its fast and efficient search in a unified manner.

The mockup show FARR as launchbar and as adaptive searcher. I've taken a slight liberty to have FARR skinned in a way currently not possible, but it does not affect the main point that integrating these two seems not only intuitive and logical, but will unify development efficiently:[attachimg=FARR+.png][/attachimg]

rkrause:
Oh, yeah! This is a great idea. I hope Mouser agrees.

Rick

mouser:
this is a *really* interesting idea.
and i *love* the mockup images, absolutely beautiful.

it does seem to me that there might be some real benefit to integrating the functionality of these tools.
of course the launch bar stuff would have to be 100% optional for find+run, many people won't want to use the launch bar functionality.

but it does ofter some very interesting possibilities; there is a lot of overlap in terms of sharing the links/groups..

kfitting:
Very, very interesting idea.  One quick question: would the user be able to add this launchbar to his taskbar?  This would free up screenspace and allow those who already have a bunch of dockable apps to free up space for them.  I personally don't really like dockable things (except my media player, QMP) but putting FARRLB in the taskbar would be neat.

Kevin

nontroppo:
it does seem to me that there might be some real benefit to integrating the functionality of these tools.
of course the launch bar stuff would have to be 100% optional for find+run, many people won't want to use the launch bar functionality.
-mouser (February 01, 2006, 07:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, by default no groups would be set up, and thus no links available. By default FARR would be as it was. It would still be triggered by a key, not screen-docked until a prefs setting was toggled.

Very, very interesting idea.  One quick question: would the user be able to add this launchbar to his taskbar? -kfitting (February 01, 2006, 07:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

I imagine that would require mouser pretty radically changing the current UI code, but maybe i'm wrong.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version