ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

A unified FARR / Launcher Interface Proposal

<< < (4/11) > >>

mouser:
from irc channel i was telling  jgpaiva my response to seeing his avatar this morning:

i nearly spit out my tea when i saw it
actually i closed the browser
and then i had one of those double take moments
where i was like
wait a second...
what the f, did i just see what i think i saw... and had to repoen browser and there it was..

(in case anyone doesnt know what im talking about, that avatar is based on the lores icon used for find+run robot program :)

nontroppo:
(i just hate not having the possibility of inconizing tasks in the taskbar, the titles take too much space :P)-jgpaiva (February 02, 2006, 06:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

Try bblean as an alternative to explorer as it has this function.

Actually, i don't think that's bad..We don't want farr to be slower, right? ;) -jgpaiva (February 02, 2006, 06:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

Supporting alpha-transparency does not have to make FARR slower at all. The drop in speed will come with the use of skins themselves which FARR already supports (and didn't slow it dowm...)

i really like the idea that the groups be displays as tool menus in that farr menubar - it seems to me that sometimes you want to locate by name, and sometimes you like to browse visually, so it's a nice idea.  not sure exactly how to handle the case of groups where there are regular expressions involved..-mouser (February 02, 2006, 06:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

Indeed it needs some thought. My original idea, similar to yours, was to have regex searches simply "fill in" the text entry field so you can complete the required information. That is hybrid key/mouse but I think it would be useful. Thus you'd have an "EMAIL Someone" entry in the menu; clicking it would fill in the command in the box up to the point where you would enter the mail address. The neat thing is that allows people who are a bit scared of aliases have a visual interface to them which I think is much less threatening.

One thing I'm not sure how to do cleanly is nested groups, which would give us the option of sub-menus. Ideally we would have a drag-n-drop interface that would allow groups to be dropped in the menu built from other groups.

kfitting:
This may have been mentioned already (I may not have understood something somewhere!) but could you make the folder structure of the toolbar autopopulate?  Could each "folder" really be a filter?  For example I could have a folder that has a definition of "C:\MyFolder | pdf".  When I click on this folder, all pdf files from c:\MyFolder are shown as icons.  Of course, this is a simple example... more powerful would be multi-foldersearches with regex.  I'm not suggesting this as a replacement to normal folders, but as another type.  This is the gray area between FARR currently and a launchbar. 

The main reason I suggest this is because the reason I dont like launchbars now is that I have to preload all my "shortcuts."  This takes a lot of time to set up correctly and it would be nice to have shortcuts determined on the fly.  Obviously, there are going to be some groups you want to handpick, this just extends the original idea.

Just a question.  I think this would increase complexity, but while we're discussing this type of thing... let's add to it!

Kevin

mouser:
kfitting, this is sort of where the idea of merging the new application launchbar / context menu codebase with farr is getting interesting, because those kinds of features will be present in the launch bar, in addition to the submenu construction gui that nontroppo was mentioning.. so adding that technology to farr seems like a natural thing to do..
in fact, the launchbar configuration gui, which i have spent a couple weeks on and which i am EXTREMELY proud of, is fully working and seems to me might be well suited for the new farr configuration system which i have been dithering about.

it does mean you should prepare for a totally different configuration experience for farr2.  hopefully you'll agree it's a better one.

i mean in a sense if you look at the toolbar in farr now, its a launch bar already.  i mean that is already what we are talking about, it's just a tiny little one.  so this idea is really more of following that through and making the launchbar more robust, and also giving user the ability to dock it on the screen for permanent viewing if desired..

ok i like it, let's go for it.

we still have to figure out this issue with quicksilver style choosing of actions on files that im still unsure of how to handle best.

jgpaiva:
Try bblean as an alternative to explorer as it has this function.-nontroppo (February 02, 2006, 09:24 AM)
--- End quote ---
That is exactly my problem. I've been using bblean for 2 years, up until last week, when i decided to go back to explorer. (because of a few compatibility issues) But i couldn't find a way of bringing that feature to explorer :(

Supporting alpha-transparency does not have to make FARR slower at all. The drop in speed will come with the use of skins themselves which FARR already supports (and didn't slow it down...)-nontroppo (February 02, 2006, 09:24 AM)
--- End quote ---
OK..I thought that transparencies slowed down the computer, and not the skins themselves.. So, i agree with you, i hope someday Farr will look that good ;)

so adding that technology to Farr seems like a natural thing to do..-mouser (February 02, 2006, 09:59 AM)
--- End quote ---
Good to know that, i think it will prove itself very useful!

OK i like it, let's go for it.
-mouser (February 02, 2006, 09:59 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yippee!!! :eusa_dance: :eusa_dance: :eusa_dance:

-[some text moved]-

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version