ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Identity Theft OFFLINE - Get ready to be VERY scared

<< < (2/6) > >>

J-Mac:
WOw - that is indeed scary. And actually, I think that down deep on some level I knew that copiers had some capabilities like this. I remember when I was still working we got Canon copiers that were connected to our company network; we could scan documents to PDF and distribute/email them right from the machines. I just never considered the personal privacy risks inherent.

Thanks!

Jim

mwb1100:
I think that down deep on some level I knew that copiers had some capabilities like this. I remember when I was still working we got Canon copiers that were connected to our company network; we could scan documents to PDF and distribute/email them right from the machines. I just never considered the personal privacy risks inherent.
-J-Mac (May 12, 2010, 10:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

My thoughts exactly - and I'll tell you what, if the tech-savvy people here seem to be unaware of this, I have to believe that far more than 60% of Americans are unaware of this issue.

JavaJones:
I heard about this recently too (maybe on Slashdot?). Not that surprising, but definitely worrying. Not so much for what *I've* done with copiers as what others do with my info on *their* copiers. I trust myself to be diligent. ;) This is generally not a problem for home machines btw. Your $100 All-in-one printer/copier/scanner isn't going to justify having a HD on it. But when you see features like "store and print later", that's when you need to worry.

One interesting thing I thought of is that many businesses simply lease their copying equipment. Most of the time their local IT staff isn't even *allowed* to mess with the hardware or software or it voids the support terms of the lease. All well and good. But one wonders if these copier leasing companies are savvy to this and are wiping machine's HDs when they go to another company, or are sent for recycling. Probably not. :( Definitely something to inquire about if you're ever in the position to lease a copier!

- Oshyan

TucknDar:
That's extraordinary! I had no idea about this.

I wonder how many images of butts they find on average... :o

Renegade:
I wonder how many images of butts they find on average... :o
-TucknDar (May 13, 2010, 03:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hahahaaha~! :D

I think that 60% mark is way off. It's probably from "Did you know that photocopiers have hard drives?" Which a lot of people will non-nonchalantly lie about (if even inadvertently). I'd certainly never thought of it before. (I'm now searching for used photocopiers... Muahahahaha~!)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version