ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > DC Gamer Club

Portal is FREE! (Until May 24th)

<< < (2/4) > >>

Innuendo:
The game is only 3-4 hours long? :(

Close one, Valve!!! You were -=><=- *THIS* close to getting me to finally cave and install the Steam client.

Ha! Narrow escape!

Seriously, though...the game is that short and they sold it for how much originally? Game publishers like that deserve to go under.

Lashiec:
Although you could buy Portal separately on Steam (I think it was being sold for $15), most people bought The Orange Box, which apart from Portal, included a few trinkets, like Team Fortress 2 and the entire Half-Life 2 saga.

Also, I fail to see how come Valve deserves to go bankrupt just because they made a "short" (there is more than just one game mode), albeit well done game. Other companies sell you 60 hours of emptiness for $60, and instead of getting a bad rap, they sell millions of copies and get critical acclaim.

Deozaan:
The game is only 3-4 hours long? :(-Innuendo (May 15, 2010, 03:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

If you already know the solution to all the puzzles and everything, sure. Depending on your skill level and other factors (like if you get stumped on a puzzle for a while), I'd guess a more casual first-time playthrough could take up to six or seven hours.

The game stands very well on its own two feet and doesn't feel short to me. It seems to me like reading a book or watching a movie. One with a fun story that nicely wraps everything up but leaves a hint of a possible sequel (which has since been announced).

The beauty of it being so relatively short is that when, a couple of months later you're reminiscing about how cool the game was, you can play the entire story in an afternoon to get a nice refresher on it.

In contrast, I loved Final Fantasy 7 on the Playstation 1, but after investing probably over 150 hours into it, I doubt I'm ever going to play it again, even though it's one of my favorite RPGs of all time and I'd like to play it again.

And really, for free, it's not like you're not getting your money's worth. If you don't like it just uninstall the entire Steam client and be done with it. No money invested, only a few hours lost, and you're done and know better. If you do like it, then you've been given what may be one of your favorite games for free. The potential cons/risks are extremely low and the potential benefits are fairly high. There's really no reason not to give it a try.

Innuendo:
Although you could buy Portal separately on Steam (I think it was being sold for $15), most people bought The Orange Box, which apart from Portal, included a few trinkets, like Team Fortress 2 and the entire Half-Life 2 saga.-Lashiec (May 15, 2010, 04:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

I didn't know it was part of the Orange Box (Half-Life isn't my 'thang') or that it sold for just $15. I thought it was sold as a $40+ game and yeah...if they would have done that they deserve to be punished.

But...they didn't...so...nevermind.

Eóin:
I played portal as part of the Orange Box a couple of years ago, always considered it one of the greats.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version