Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site August 30, 2014, 03:23:27 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Your Support Funds this Site: View the Supporter Yearbook.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Portal is FREE! (Until May 24th)  (Read 5046 times)
lanux128
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: May 12, 2010, 07:45:28 PM »

if you have never played Portal, from now on to May 24th is the best time to play it because it's FREE! Cool

http://store.steampowered.com/freeportal/

Deozaan
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 09:09:20 PM »

Wow!

Broadcast it to the world!

Josh
Charter Honorary Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 07:56:26 PM »

Just downloaded and installed. This is a fantastic game! It is reminiscent of the EchoChrome game on the PS3, also a great game. This is sure to bring me hours of fun! Thanks!

Strength in Knowledge
p3lb0x
Supporting Member

Beer, beer, beer, I'm going for a beer!

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 05:00:51 AM »

If by hours you mean a maximum of 3-4 then you're right. The game is really short

Stop mousering people so much - Mouser
lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 05:35:37 AM »

the main storyline might be quite short but there are some interesting mods to keep one occupied such as this one: Portal: Prelude.

Innuendo
Charter Member

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 03:49:58 PM »

The game is only 3-4 hours long? Sad

Close one, Valve!!! You were -=><=- *THIS* close to getting me to finally cave and install the Steam client.

Ha! Narrow escape!

Seriously, though...the game is that short and they sold it for how much originally? Game publishers like that deserve to go under.
Lashiec

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 04:35:10 PM »

Although you could buy Portal separately on Steam (I think it was being sold for $15), most people bought The Orange Box, which apart from Portal, included a few trinkets, like Team Fortress 2 and the entire Half-Life 2 saga.

Also, I fail to see how come Valve deserves to go bankrupt just because they made a "short" (there is more than just one game mode), albeit well done game. Other companies sell you 60 hours of emptiness for $60, and instead of getting a bad rap, they sell millions of copies and get critical acclaim.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 04:50:11 PM by Lashiec » Logged
Deozaan
Charter Member

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 06:33:56 PM »

The game is only 3-4 hours long? Sad

If you already know the solution to all the puzzles and everything, sure. Depending on your skill level and other factors (like if you get stumped on a puzzle for a while), I'd guess a more casual first-time playthrough could take up to six or seven hours.

The game stands very well on its own two feet and doesn't feel short to me. It seems to me like reading a book or watching a movie. One with a fun story that nicely wraps everything up but leaves a hint of a possible sequel (which has since been announced).

The beauty of it being so relatively short is that when, a couple of months later you're reminiscing about how cool the game was, you can play the entire story in an afternoon to get a nice refresher on it.

In contrast, I loved Final Fantasy 7 on the Playstation 1, but after investing probably over 150 hours into it, I doubt I'm ever going to play it again, even though it's one of my favorite RPGs of all time and I'd like to play it again.

And really, for free, it's not like you're not getting your money's worth. If you don't like it just uninstall the entire Steam client and be done with it. No money invested, only a few hours lost, and you're done and know better. If you do like it, then you've been given what may be one of your favorite games for free. The potential cons/risks are extremely low and the potential benefits are fairly high. There's really no reason not to give it a try.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 06:39:40 PM by Deozaan » Logged

Innuendo
Charter Member

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 11:14:09 PM »

Although you could buy Portal separately on Steam (I think it was being sold for $15), most people bought The Orange Box, which apart from Portal, included a few trinkets, like Team Fortress 2 and the entire Half-Life 2 saga.

I didn't know it was part of the Orange Box (Half-Life isn't my 'thang') or that it sold for just $15. I thought it was sold as a $40+ game and yeah...if they would have done that they deserve to be punished.

But...they didn't...so...nevermind.
Eóin
Charter Member

O'Callaghan

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010, 08:07:44 AM »

I played portal as part of the Orange Box a couple of years ago, always considered it one of the greats.

Interviewer: Is there anything you don't like?
Bjarne Stroustrup: Marketing hype as a substitute for technical argument. Thoughtless adherence to dogma. Pride in ignorance.
f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

[Well, THAT escalated quickly!]

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 08:34:56 AM »

That it's relatively short is actually a good thing - it would have felt too repetitive if it was longer. It's a great little gem smiley

- carpe noctem
Josh
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2010, 05:42:00 PM »

The cake is not a lie. Release date set for 9 February, 2011.

News update:
http://www.1up.com/news/p...-2-dated-stephen-merchant

Videos:

Part 1
http://ps3.ign.com/dor/ob..._demo1_81810.html?show=hi

Part2
http://ps3.ign.com/dor/ob..._demo2_81810.html?show=hi

Co-op multiplayer teaser:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I7H_F6lPOU

Strength in Knowledge
lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2010, 01:59:01 AM »

Portal is part of the syllabus at Wabash College, now one can play video games and get some credit hours. smiley

Portal on the booklist

This year, for the first time, a video game will appear on the syllabus of a course required for all students at Wabash College, where I teach. For me - and for a traditional liberal arts college founded in 1832 - this is a big deal.

http://www.brainygamer.co...0/08/portal-booklist.html

lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 09:54:25 AM »

if for some crazy reasons you still don't have Portal 1, you can get it for free until Sept 20, 2011.. Cool

http://store.steampowered.com/app/400/

Shades

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2011, 03:26:17 PM »

Steam does not even let me create an account, so downloading (till now) is out of the question.

Too bad, as the original game ignites a lot of positive comments on DC.
lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2011, 10:17:49 PM »

Steam does not even let me create an account, so downloading (till now) is out of the question.

are you trying from your browser or the steam client?

https://store.steampowered.com/join/

just to clarify, you only have to create an account and add the game to your library. you can download later, even after the offer is over.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.05s | Server load: 0.02 ]