topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 10:58 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Email change notification solution?  (Read 8303 times)

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Email change notification solution?
« on: May 11, 2010, 07:24 PM »
Hi
I am going to change my email address and I was wondering what would be the best method or tool to notify my friends and interested parties to notify? This is a personal paid hosted email account so I am not using web based stuff. I am also using thunderbird.

I do not want to send one mass email to everyone I know, I want to subdivide them in groups then send seperate emails.

Definetely I can do copy paste, group people from contact list etc. I am just wondering if there are more elegant methods out there, in case I change some of my other email adresses as well

thanks
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 07:48 PM by kartal »

parkint

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
  • It's bad luck to be superstitious
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Email change notification solution?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 07:55 PM »
What I have done (in the past) is to modify my signature line as soon as I know my new email address.
Then, over time, as I communicate with people they get the update.
Honestly, if anyone is 'left behind', it is because they are not in my current circle of communication.

My 2 cents (I expect change back).

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 08:16 PM »
you can use thunderbird's distribution list.

http://math.arizona....ses/thunderbird.html

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 09:56 PM »
lanux128

Thanks for the link. It looks like somehting that is usable except that I see that when I send an email all the recipients email adresses are shown in the list. I am porbavly looking for some kind of hiding method, so the list is private.

nogojoe

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 11:20 PM »
lanux128

Thanks for the link. It looks like somehting that is usable except that I see that when I send an email all the recipients email adresses are shown in the list. I am porbavly looking for some kind of hiding method, so the list is private.

Use the Blind CC option        enter ie name of the group   Examplegroup<your own email address>into the email address line .

(include the <  > as shown above)

Skip the cc  line

enter the emails of that group you wish to send to under the Blind CC line

All each person in that group will see is Examplegroup<your own email address>

do that for each group renaming the Examplegroup to the corresponding group of people

What you are doing here is sending an email to yourself and the Blind CC will cover sending to each individual in that group without anybody seeing the other email addresses

Remember to put a comma between each email address and have no spaces.

Hope that helps
Often the most convincing people are those who have lost the plot so much they don't recognize the difference between fact and fantasy
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 11:22 PM by nogojoe »

nogojoe

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 01:47 AM »
http://kb.mozillazine.org/BCC

this link will give some idea of Thunderbirds limitations as to group  messaging

The main thing is to test with just a few email addresses to my tip to you is to include your own mail address in with the BCC  that will ensure that you can see if you are doing things right.
my example in the previous should work

Often the most convincing people are those who have lost the plot so much they don't recognize the difference between fact and fantasy

Gwen7

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 09:38 AM »
be careful of the number of addresses in your BCC line. many mail servers will think it's spam if there are too many. it could also put you at risk of being blacklisted.

the actual threshold will vary depending on the server. my company automatically dumps any message originating outside our domain that has more than five BCCs or thirty CCs. the thirty CC limit was chosen because it's twice as large as the number of people in our largest department. this allows our management key vendors to use departmental distribution lists without us having to deal with all the joke lists and chain letters we used to get.  it will also internally blacklist an address if it happens more than five times within a 48 hour period. keep hammering us after that and we'll bitch to your ISP too!

good luck getting word of your new address out to your friends.  

bye! :)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 01:20 PM by Gwen7 »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 01:02 PM »
Don't know how big your list is...but if it's huge and you're allowed to directly send SMTP (which you may) or you have access to an SMTP server (which you do) you can always use a direct "bulk mail" app or script.

Compose your announcement. Then just send it to everyone on your list. Each message will go out as a separate email so you won't need to muck about with CC and BCC workarounds.

Bulk-mailer apps were popular during the heyday of email newsletters. They've gone out of vogue (largely because most ISPs stopped allowing them) but they're still around.

I was a big fan of G-Lock EasyMail. They still offer a free version for download if you want to check it out. The free edition only allows you one mailing group - but it does allow you to import a list - so it's no big deal to send out to one group, change the message, import a different group list, and repeat as needed.

Link: http://www.glockeasymail.com/downloads/

« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 01:25 PM by 40hz »

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 01:56 PM »
thanks for all the great suggestions. I now have a lot of ideas to try