topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:41 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: "GoogleSharing" FF plugin for anonymity  (Read 2998 times)

Lutz_

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
"GoogleSharing" FF plugin for anonymity
« on: May 07, 2010, 05:22 PM »
We had several threads here lately dealing in one way or another with the power of Google and the potential misuse of their gigantic data collection.
I just came across a Firefox plugin which promises to provide more anonymity for web searches: GoogleSharing .

GoogleSharing is a system that mixes the requests of many different users together, such that Google is not capable of telling what is coming from whom. GoogleSharing aims to do a few very specific things:

1. Provide a system that will prevent Google from collecting information about you from services which don't require a login.
   2. Make this system completely transparent to the user. No special websites, no change to your work flow.
   3. Leave your non-Google traffic completely untouched, unredirected, and unaffected.

GoogleSharing seems to work fine for me so far, although I got once directed to the Spanish language Google site.  Generally, I am now using Cuil and Duck Duck Go for web searches and Google and Bing only for shopping "advice" - thanks to some recent discussions here.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 10:36 PM by Lutz_ »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: "GoogleSharing" FF plugin for anonymity
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 04:50 PM »
Has anyone heard anything about AltaVista tracking?  Seems like they've been flying under the radar forever.  I have it set as my default search.