Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site October 30, 2014, 10:13:52 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Check out and download the GOE 2007 Freeware Challenge productivity tools.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Farewell to Frank Frazetta 1928-2010  (Read 3229 times)
40hz
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: May 10, 2010, 01:55:30 PM »

It was bound to happen.

The fantasy art world bids a fond farewell to one of the true icons in the field. Surreal, evocative, erotic, occasionally lurid - and sometimes even humorous, Frank's work will be missed.

http://www.comicsbeat.com...05/10/frank-frazetta-rip/
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 02:01:58 PM by 40hz » Logged

Don't you see? It's turtles all the way down!
wraith808
Supporting Member

"In my dreams, I always do it right."

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 03:05:04 PM »

Aw man. Sad

Gwen7
Participant

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 03:12:26 PM »

i used to be weirdly fascinated by the frazetta-girl look when I was growing up. then when I went to college I was taught to be offended by it. but once I was in military service I discovered there were women who actually could kick-butt like that. and now if you come down to the health club I belong to you'll likely see several hardbodied women who look like they just stepped off a Frazetta cover.

so I guess it's ok for me to like Frazetta's art again. it's not just male fantasy any more.  Grin
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 11:16:11 PM by Gwen7 » Logged
sajman99
Supporting Member

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 03:14:54 PM »

Sad news. Sad His art was incredible.
sgtevmckay
Supporting Member

Magis Esse

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 03:25:06 PM »

Via Con Dios mi Amigo

It is a sad day in the art community as this Artist single handed-ly brought Fantasy Art work into teh prime of teh Artistic communities, and made Fantasy Art a viable and accepted part of the artistic communities.

"I will celebrate his life, where some many have mourned his death, may his life be remembered and not his passing"
Frank Frazzeta lament on the passing of Jackson Pollock
Innuendo
Charter Member

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 11:08:27 PM »

Aw, crap. Another good one gone.
Renegade
Charter Member

Tell me something you don't know...

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 12:43:19 AM »

The Death Dealer -- The Cimmerian -- the Silver Warrior -- So many iconic paintings that I grew up with. I know he was a massive influence for so many other artists.

I have one of his art books that was given to me by a friend. I've carted that book around with me all over god's green earth.

Well, that is the passing of a true art hero.

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker
TomD101
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 03:48:56 AM »

He was the best Fantasy Artist ever.

I know, Vallejo, Rowena and all the "new" airbrush artists are great, too, but no one gave you this feeling of ... life in his pictures. I collected his German artbooks during the 70ies and grew up with all those fantasy books that bore HIS covers and of course some longplay records (those big, black discs with sequential playing through a needle).

I never read his comics, I am not THAT old, but saw some sample pages on his website. He simply was well versed in the different arts and thus a true artist of his time. Remember Barks, who did comics AND oil paintings.

He will be missed.

Thomas
Berlin, Germany

The more things stay, the more they change the sane.
wraith808
Supporting Member

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 09:27:22 AM »

Fire & Ice.  The life wasn't given to that movie by the animators, but by Frazetta's characters and works.

superboyac
Charter Member

Is your software in my list?

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 09:28:00 AM »

Dang...he was awesome.  I wish I could draw like him.

sgtevmckay
Supporting Member

Magis Esse

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 10:40:14 AM »

Fire & Ice.  The life wasn't given to that movie by the animators, but by Frazetta's characters and works.

I was wondering if anyone would remember this movie....
You have restored my faith friend Wink
wraith808
Supporting Member

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 11:21:59 AM »

Fire & Ice.  The life wasn't given to that movie by the animators, but by Frazetta's characters and works.

I was wondering if anyone would remember this movie....
You have restored my faith friend Wink

Heh.   People say that Bakshi's seminal fantasy work is Wizards.  Or they point to the Lord of the Rings.  But Fire & Ice will always be it for me... the combination of Bakshi and Frazetta was unbeatable!

sgtevmckay
Supporting Member

Magis Esse

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 11:28:01 AM »

Heh.   People say that Bakshi's seminal fantasy work is Wizards.  Or they point to the Lord of the Rings.  But Fire & Ice will always be it for me... the combination of Bakshi and Frazetta was unbeatable!

Indeed....a seminal point was peaked in the creation here...that not even Heavy Metal could compare to properly.
I had always hoped that and additional work would have been done, but it never happened Sad
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.034s | Server load: 0.1 ]